Applicant's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows: Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization, Professional Development: performance, education/career development, Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality, Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research.
- Citizenship - Applicant must be a citizen of the United States.
- Education/Experience - Applicant must be a graduate of a NLN (National League of Nursing) accredited program. A Bachelors degree in Nursing is highly recommended. Preferred: A Masters degree in Nursing; One year of nursing experience in a critical care environment, and one year of clinical research experience. Knowledge of and ability to follow research protocol, including IRB/OPRR regulations, detaileld and accurate recording of data and follow-up for patients; Computer skills with the ability to record electronic progress notes, enter electronic data and use VA data base (CPRS, VISTA) and standard Windows programs (Word, Excel); Excellent communication skills. The incumbent must be willing to travel to coordinator meetings.
- Registration - Applicant must have a current, full, active and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the U.S. or in the District of Columbia.
- Physical Standards - Applicant must meet the physical standards established for this position..
- English Language Proficiency - Applicant must be proficient in spoken and written English.
Qualifying Education: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement). Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Reference: VA Handbook 5005/27, Part II, Appendix G-6 NURSE QUALIFICATION STANDARD http://www1.va.gov/vapubs/viewPublication.asp?Pub_ID=464&FType=2
Drug Testing Designated Positions: In accordance with Exzecutive Order 12564, Federal employees hired in a drug testing designated position will be subject to random testing for illegal drug use during employment.
VetPro: Individuals selected for positions that have patient care responsibilities are subject to undergoing an electronic credentialing process called VETPRO. As part of this process, it will be necessary for you to submit complete information concerning your professional education, training, experience, licensure and certifications using VetPro. The candidate selected will be provided with further information on how to use VetPro.
When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on their application or résumé. Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must complete an SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference. Veterans who are still in the service may be granted tentative preference on the basis of information contained in their applications, but they must produce a DD Form 214 or other proof prior to appointment to document entitlement to preference. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/veterans.aspx.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment. You may also be evaluated based upon the question responses you provide during a structured interview. In responding to structured interview questions you should be sure to cite specific examples of experience, explain exactly what you did, and the outcome.