To be qualified for this position, you must provide evidence that you possess a record of progressive experience that includes: substantial knowledge of Indian health policy related issues, the Indian Self-Determination Act, regulations and policies; and demonstrated experience which evidences the applicant's ability to work with Tribal governments and Tribal organizations in planning, directing and evaluating comprehensive public health programs. This experience must clearly demonstrate progressive ability to effectively manage complex interdisciplinary health programs and health care policies of American Indians and Alaska Natives. This experience must be evidenced by sophisticated analytical skills, superior written and oral communication skills, good judgment, and experience interacting with government, non-government, and tribal officials. Typically, experience of this nature is gained at or above the GS-15 grade level in the Federal service, or its equivalent with state or local government, the private sector, and non-governmental or tribal organizations.
You must possess a degree with a major study in an academic field related to the health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position.
Since this position has a specific education requirement, all applicants must verify completion of this basic education requirement by providing an original, official college transcript before appointment.
Senior Executive Service Requirements
Current or former career SES employees are not required to address the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs), but must address the Technical Qualifications (TQs). Unless you are currently serving under a career SES appointment, are eligible for reinstatement into the SES, or have successfully completed a SES Candidate Development Program approved by OPM, you must submit a narrative statement separately covering each of the ECQs and TQs in order to receive consideration for the position.
Public Health Service Commissioned Corps Officers interested in applying for this position to serve in the SES must resign their commission if selected. If you are applying under this option, you must address both the TQs and ECQs in this announcement. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of the position within the Commissioned Corps must address the TQs but are not required to address the ECQs.
Additional information on the proper preparation of ECQs is available by going to the Office of Personnel Management's web site at http://www.opm.gov/ses/references/GuidetoSESQuals_2012.pdf. Applicants are encouraged to follow the Challenge, Context, Action, and Result model outlined in the guide.
When responding to the TQs and ECQs, you must clearly show that you possess the experience, knowledge, skills and ability to perform the duties of this position by submitting narrative responses in which you detail your experience in each of the TQs and ECQs.
Your examples should be clear and emphasize your level of responsibilities, scope and complexity of programs managed, program accomplishments with results of your actions, policy initiatives and level of contacts. In addition, your responses should highlight your experience, training, and achievements in conjunction with the resume that you provide. You should limit your narrative to two pages for each ECQ and TQ.
In order to satisfy all of the specified requirements, you must submit narrative responses separately addressing the TQs and the five ECQs outlined below.
Technical Qualifications (TQs):
In addition to experience, applicants must possess the following technical qualifications that represent the knowledge, skills, and abilities essential to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position:
(1) Demonstrated substantial knowledge of the Indian Health Care Improvement Act and the Indian Self-Determination Act, as well as the Indian Health Service Federal Health Care Delivery Systems (federal, tribal and urban).
(2) Demonstrated experience evaluating policy options, forecasting costs, benefits and long-term results.
(3) Demonstrated experience and ability in formulating, implementing and evaluating high-impact policies, programs and projects and advising senior executives of a large organization on options or resolving problems caused by existing or proposed policies or conditions.
(4) Demonstrated experience and working knowledge of disseminating information to customers and the general public, including Tribal governments, Tribal organizations, and Indian community organizations.
(5) Demonstrated progressive experience in effectively managing a comprehensive and complex interdisciplinary health program target to serve American Indians and Alaska Natives.
Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs):
Fundamental Competencies: The following competencies are the foundation for success in each of the ECQs. Interpersonal Skills; Oral Communication; Integrity/Honesty; Written Communication; Continual Learning; and Public Service Motivation. These Fundamental Competencies are cross-cutting and should be addressed over the course of your ECQ narratives.
1. Leading Change: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment. (Competencies: creativity and innovation, external awareness, flexibility, resilience, strategic thinking, vision)
2. Leading People: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. (Competencies: conflict management, leveraging diversity, developing others, team building)
3. Results Driven: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. (Competencies: accountability, customer service, decisiveness, entrepreneurship, problem solving, technical credibility)
4. Business Acumen: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. (Competencies: financial management, human capital management, technology management)
5. Building Coalitions: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. (Competencies: partnering, political savvy, influencing/negotiating)
All initial appointments to an SES position are contingent on approval form OPM's Qualifications Review Board unless the selectee has successfully participated in an OPM approved SES Candidate Development Program.
As a condition of employment, all male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must have registered for the selective service.
Only experience obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your resume and narrative responses to the technical qualifications and the five Executive Core Qualifications are an integral part of the process for determining your qualifications for the position. Responses that are not supported by your resume will eliminate you from consideration. Your application will be evaluated in the following manner:
1. Application packages will be reviewed for completeness (incomplete or late packages will not receive further consideration).
2. Basic qualifications review. Your resume and questionnaire will be reviewed to ensure that you meet the experience requirement. (If you do not meet this requirement, you will not receive further consideration).
3. Review of your supplemental qualifications document to determine your rating.