Minimum Qualifications Requirements: To qualify for this position you must meet the (1) Basic Educational Requirements AND (2) Specialized Experience (or education substitution where applicable) for the grade to which you are applying. Applications will be accepted from students who are expected to complete qualifying education within 9 months from the date of application. Verification that the education was completed successfully will be required prior to appointment.
(1) Basic Educational Requirements:
Please Note: This position requires specific educational coursework to qualify. You MUST provide transcripts in order to verify that the educational requirements have been met.
Petroleum Engineer GS-0881
You must meet the description in either A or B below to qualify for this position.
A. Degree: professional engineering. To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
B. Combination of education and experience--college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following:
1. Professional registration--Current registration as a professional engineer by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico. Absent other means of qualifying under this standard, those applicants who achieved such registration by means other than written test (e.g., State grandfather or eminence provisions) are eligible only for positions that are within or closely related to the specialty field of their registration. For example, an applicant who attains registration through a State Board's eminence provision as a manufacturing engineer typically would be rated eligible only for manufacturing engineering positions.
2. Written Test- Evidence of having successfully passed the Engineer-in-Training (EIT) examination, or the written test required for professional registration, which is administered by the Boards of Engineering Examiners in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico.
Applicants who have passed the EIT examination and have completed all the requirements for either (a) a bachelor's degree in engineering technology (BET) from an accredited college of university that included 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences, or (b) a BET from a program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) may be rated eligible for certain engineering positions at GS-5. Eligibility is limited to positions that are within or closely related to the specialty field of the engineering technology program. Applicants for positions that involve highly technical research, development, or similar functions requiring an advanced level of competence in basic science must meet the basic requirements in paragraph A.
Because of the diversity in kind and quality of BET programs, graduates of other BET programs are required to complete at least 1 year of additional education or highly technical work experience of such nature as to provide reasonable assurance of the possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for professional engineering competence. The adequacy of this background must be demonstrated by passing the EIT examination.
3. Specified academic courses--Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences and in engineering that included the courses specified in the basic requirements. The courses must be fully acceptable toward meeting the requirements of a professional engineering curriculum as described in paragraph A.
4. Related curriculum--Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in engineering technology or in an appropriate professional field, e.g., physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology, may be accepted in lieu of a degree in engineering, provided the applicant has had at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance. Ordinarily there should be either an established plan of intensive training to develop professional engineering competence, or several years of prior professional engineering-type experience, e.g., in interdisciplinary positions. (The above examples of related curricula are not all-inclusive.)
(2) Specialized Experience Requirements:
To qualify at the GS-9 level you must have at least one FULL year specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-7 grade level. Specialized experience is defined as performing routine engineering assignments, performing analyses of maps and making computations, compiling and analyzing well data and populating and maintaining databases utilized in petroleum engineering
Substitute Education for Experience
Master's or equivalent graduate degree (a directly related field from an accredited institution.
or - 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree (a directly related field from an accredited institution).
or - LL.B. or J.D., if related from an accredited institution.
Combination of Education and Experience
You may qualify if you have an appropriate combination of education and experience that totals 100%. Only graduate education in excess of 18 semester hours may be applied toward this combination at this grade level.
To qualify at the GS-11 grade level, you must have at least one FULL year specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-9 grade level. Specialized experience is defined as experience applying general safety and environmental principles and practices in an offshore environment to evaluate offshore operations, monitoring offshore systems and processes to identify hazards to the safety of workers and the offshore environment, preparing or revising regulations and standards related to offshore operations, and performing subsurface well log analysis for the identification and evaluation of petroleum reserves and resources in oil and gas operations.
Substitute Education for Experience
Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree from an accredited institution.
or - 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree from an accredited institution.
or - LL.M., if related from an accredited institution.
Combination of Education and Experience
You may qualify if you have an appropriate combination of education and experience that totals 100%.Only graduate level education in excess of 36 semester hours may be applied toward this combination at this grade level.
Note: At the GS-12 level you may not substitute education for experience.
To qualify for the GS-12 level, all applicants must possess at least one full year of specialized experience at or equivalent to at least the next lower grade level (GS-11). Specialized experience is defined as experience using advanced engineering principles and practices to review and analyze more complex issues concerning Outer Continental Shelf facilities, equipment, work methods, components, and systems involved in the various aspects of offshore oil, gas, and mineral operations with the specified objective of enforcing safety and environmental objectives.
You must meet the OPM prescribed requirements outlined in the Qualifications section of this vacancy announcement on or before the close date to qualify for this position. https://www.opm.gov/qualifications/Standards/group-stds/gs-admin.asp