You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
Physical Requirement: You must be able to wear clothing and gear weighing no more than a total of 30 pounds.
Physical Demands: The work requires regular and recurring physical exertion such as long periods of standing, walking, driving, bending, stooping, reaching, crawling, and similar activities. Officer engages in such physical exertions when responding to alarms, pursuing suspects, climbing stairs in office buildings or walking foot patrols in and around large buildings. Incumbent must be physically capable to maintain a state of readiness to perform work that requires running such as would be required in pursuit of fleeing suspects, strength to effectively apprehend and detain uncooperative suspects, lifting and carrying of heavy objects of 50 pounds or less, such as weapons or other specialized equipment. Occasionally some lifting of heavier objects may be necessary.
For the TR-06 level: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-04 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes experience that provided knowledge of a body of basic laws and regulations, law enforcement operations, practices and techniques and involved responsibility for maintaining order and protecting life and property. Creditable specialized experience may have been gained in work on a police force; through service as a military police officer; in work providing visitor protection and law enforcement in parks, forests or other natural resource or recreational environments; in performing criminal investigative duties; or in other work that provided the required knowledge and skills.
-- You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows: successful completion of a full 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree in Police Science or a comparable degree program related to the work of the position.
-- NOTE Successful completion of a Federal, State, county or municipal police academy or comparable training course that included at least 40 classroom hours of instruction in police department procedures and methods, and local law and regulations, may be substituted for a maximum of 3 months of specialized experience. OR
-- You may qualify by a combination of experience and education.
The experience may have been gained in either the public or private sector. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application includes your:
2. Responses to the online questions, and
3. Required supporting documents.
We use a multi-step process to evaluate and refer applicants:
1. Minimum Requirements: Your application must show that you meet all requirements, including the education and/or experience required for this position. You may be found "not qualified" if you do not possess the minimum competencies required for the position. If your application is incomplete, we may rate you as ineligible.
2. Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: knowledge of law enforcement principles, procedures and practices to include arrest authority; ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing; ability to perform a range of police operations in preventing or resolving offenses, or in conducting preliminary investigations of incidents ranging from simple rule violations to more complex crimes. Your application will be rated and ranked among others, based on the extent and quality of your experience, education, training, performance appraisals and awards relevant to the duties of this position. We may lower your rating if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application. Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three categories, Superior, Good, and Acceptable, depending on your experience and education related to this position. Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category. Qualified preference-eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest category.
3. Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration and possible interview. If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)), you must be assigned the middle category or better to be rated as well qualified to receive special selection priority.
We recommend that you preview the online questions for this announcement before you start the application process. To preview questions please click here.