To qualify, you MUST meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
Applicants can qualify by meeting the EDUCATION requirements specified below and/or the SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE requirements.
GS-5: Four-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree with major study or at least 24 semester hours in any combination of courses, such as biology, chemistry, statistics, entomology, animal husbandry, botany, physics, agriculture, or mathematics. At least 6 semester hours of courses must have been in plant pathology, entomology, biology, or cellular/molecular biology.
GS-6: A half year (or 9 semester hours) of graduate education in plant pathology, entomology, biology, or cellular/molecular biology
GS-7: One year (or 18 semester hours) of graduate education in plant pathology, entomology, biology, or cellular/molecular biology
TRANSCRIPTS are required if:
- You are qualifying for the position based on education.
- You are qualifying for this position based on a combination of experience and education.
This education must have been successfully completed and obtained from an accredited school, college, or university. For more information on submitting transcripts, click: Transcripts.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-5/6/7 GRADE LEVELS
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to the next lower level in the Federal Service. This experience may have been obtained in the private or public (local, county, state, Federal) sectors. Specialized Experience is normally work performed in a controlled environment.
Examples of qualifying experience at the GS-5 grade level include, but are not limited to:
- Knowledge of the Mexican fruit fly sufficiently advanced to identify life stages, including reproductive maturity and mated status via micro-dissection
- Conducting sampling and quality control tests on production lots of insects, identifying potential problems, and taking corrective measures
- Knowledge of general microscopy, histological procedures to process dissected specimens, slide mounting, and standard staining and counterstaining protocols
- Using computer applications to prepare periodic reports and update electronic records; assisting in the preparation of publications and presentations to appropriate personnel
In addition, examples of qualifying experience at the GS-6/7 grade levels include, but are not limited to:
- Finding and suggesting solutions to insect production problems
- Developing guidelines for sampling procedures
- Providing training and mentoring to employees
- Overseeing proper procedures in a laboratory setting
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-5/6/7 GRADE LEVELS
Applicants may have combinations of successfully completed education and specialized experience to meet total qualification requirements. The total percentages must equal at least 100 percent to qualify for that grade level. To learn more about combining education and experience for this series, click the following: Combining Education and Experience for Technical and Medical Support Positions
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- DD214 (Member 4 copy) or other veterans' documents required to receive veterans' preference.
- As a condition of employment, a background investigation may be required for this position.
- Subject to satisfactory completion of one-year trial period.
- Work is performed in an office/laboratory setting. Incumbent observes all laboratory safety rules and precautions.
- The diet consumed by the insects may present noxious odor.
- Work involves some walking, standing, bending, and carrying light items (e.g. documents, books).
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
To preview questions please click here.
- Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. Your resume must support that you meet the specialized experience requirements described above and are proficient in the following skills or competencies below. Please note you are not required to provide specific narrative responses to the skills and competencies described in this section.
- Knowledge of entomology and insect rearing
- Ability to perform scientific work, including the application of scientific principles and procedures as they apply to a lab setting
- Ability to use computers, computer software, databases, etc.
- Oral and written communication
- Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. The following quality categories will be used: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. Within each quality category, veterans' preference eligibles will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
- Your final category placement will be based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire. Please ensure your resume provides enough detail to support your responses.
- If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you.