Applicants are required to submit a narrative statement for each of the five mandatory Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and each of the Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQs). Please give a complete and detailed answer for each mandatory qualification. Eligibility for this position will be based upon a clear showing that the applicant has experience of the scope and quality sufficient to effectively carry out assignments of the position. Do not enter "Refer to Resume" to explain your answer. Applications directing the reviewer to search within the application or to "See Resume" are considered incomplete and WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. Failure to submit a narrative statement or address any of the mandatory ECQs and/or MTQs is also considered incomplete and WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. Applicants currently serving under a career Senior Executive Service (SES) appointment, eligible for reinstatement into SES, or have successfully completed a SES Candidate Development Program (CDP) approved by OPM are not required to address the ECQs but must address all mandatory MTQs. You must meet the technical and managerial qualification factors identified below. Failure by non-Senior Executive Service members to address each of the required Executive Core Qualifications (ECQ's) and Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQ's) statements will result in disqualification of your application. Your application must demonstrate that you possess these qualifications. Please provide examples that are clear, concise, and emphasize your level of responsibilities, the scope and complexity of programs managed, program accomplishments, policy initiatives undertaken, and level of contacts. All qualified candidates will be evaluated on the relevance of their experience, education, training, self-development, honors, awards, and outside activities. Career Senior Executive Service members who apply are expected to address only the MTQ's. Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQ): Applicants must respond to the following MTQ's which represent the experience needed to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position. You will be given the opportunity to address these MTQs later in the online application process. Executive Core Qualifications (ECQ's): Additional information regarding the following five ECQ's listed below is available on the Office of Personnel Management (OPM's) Web site at SENIOR EXECUTIVE SERVICE
Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQ)
1. Expert knowledge of the technical barriers (performance, reliability, cost, etc.) to the research, development, and demonstration of wind and/or water power technologies.
2. Expert knowledge of the market barriers to the deployment of wind and/or water power technologies. Discuss experience in addressing five market deployment barriers which include testing infrastructure, grid integration strategies, radar interference mitigation, siting and permitting challenges, and other institutional/environmental issues.
Executive Core Qualifications (ECQ's)
1. LEADING CHANGE: Ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals and establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
2. LEADING PEOPLE: Ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals and provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
3. RESULTS DRIVEN: Ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations, and make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
4. BUSINESS ACUMEN: Ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
5. BUILDING COALITIONS: Ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) is required by law to review the executive core qualifications of each new career appointee to the Senior Executive Service (SES) prior to appointment.
Your educational background may be considered by the selecting official during the interview process of your overall qualifications for this position. Supporting documentation of your education and training is appreciated, even though not required for this position. Please submit all supporting documents in accordance with the instructions provided under Require Documents in the "How to Apply" section. FOREIGN INSTITUTIONS: education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used if you can show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States, (providing such evidence when applying is your responsibility).
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT FOR THIS VACANCY: This is a career position in the SES. Unless the selectee is a member of the SES with career status or has successfully completed an SES Candidate Development Program, certified by the Office of Personnel Management, his/her managerial qualifications must be approved by OPM before appointment can be effected. If you are selected for this position, you will be subject to the U.S. Department of Energy mandatory requirements and will be required to file a public financial disclosure report within 30 days of entry on duty. As a condition of appointment to this position, you will be subject to pre-employment/pre-appointment testing for illegal drug use under the U.S. Department of Energy Employee Drug Plan. If you are selected you will be provided information regarding drug testing. Failure to undergo testing or positive findings resulting from the test will eliminate you from further consideration for this position. If selected for and appointed to this position you will be subject to random drug testing while employed. New appointees must successfully complete a 1 year probationary period Homeland Security Presidential Directive (HSPD-12):A selectee's appointment is contingent upon compliance with Homeland Security Presidential Directive (HSPD-12) governing personal identity.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
You will be rated and ranked using only the information submitted for consideration. Applicants who do not demonstrate sufficient possession of the Executive Core Qualification factors and document demonstrated experience, training, and/or education in support of the technical qualifications by answering all of the questions for this vacancy announcement, will be ineligible for further consideration. Applicants will be evaluated on their narrative responses to the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and all of the Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQs). The narrative must demonstrate the necessary level of skills, specialized knowledge, and technical competence that would indicate success at this level and must include clear and concise examples that emphasize the applicant's level of responsibilities, scope, and complexity. Please refer to the reference guide indicated in the link below to ensure the proper procedures for submission are followed. For detailed guidance on ECQs, applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Office of Personnel Management's Guide to Executive Qualifications at SES RECRUITMENT/ECQ
To preview questions please click here.