Basic Qualification Requirements for Supervisory Systems Accountant, GS-510-15:
A. Have at least a bachelor's degree in accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means "accounting and/or auditing" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor.")
B. Have a combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
1. Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law.
2. A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination.
3. Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
Additional Qualification Requirements: In addition to meeting the Basic Qualification Requirements for Supervisory Systems Accountant, GS-510-15, candidates must also:
Have one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-14 grade level in the Federal service, managing and directing the design, development, and implementation of complex and comprehensive financial management systems, studies, or projects; evaluating existing and proposed automated financial information systems to determine the impact of systems and/or the need for system changes/replacement; providing recommendations on short and long-range goals/objectives to senior management; representing the organization at meetings and hearings relative to financial management plans and policies and managing human resources, financial, budgetary, administrative and operational matters.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Pre-employment physical required: No
6. Drug testing required: No
7. Financial disclosure required: Yes
8. One-year probationary period may be required.
9. Mobility agreement required: No
10. Immunization required: No
11. Travel required: No
12. Moving expenses authorized: No
13. Relocation incentive authorized: No
14. Recruitment incentive authorized: No
15. Student loan repayment incentive authorized: No
16. Annual leave for non-federal service authorized: No
17. Bargaining Unit Position: No
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified.
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher).
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
1. Knowledge of accounting principles, practices, methods, and techniques to perform a variety of accounting assignments and to analyze financial data as outlined in the regulations and policies.
2. Knowledge of accounting regulations, procedures, policies, and precedents to carry out complex accounting functions, to advise managers on changing program operations and to solve a variety of accounting problems.
3. Skill in analyzing accounting systems in order to modify and adapt accounting practices to solve a variety of accounting problems.
4. Skill in oral communication.
5. Skill in written communication.