Job Title: Maintenance WorkerJob Announcement Number: CK861953LH
Department: Department Of The Interior
Agency: National Park Service
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Hour
Wednesday, April 17, 2013 to
Wednesday, April 24, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
Seasonal NTE 1039
2 vacancies in the following location:
Los Alamos, NM United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
United States Citizens
Bandelier National Monument is comprised of over 32,817 acres, including a designated wilderness area of 23,267 acres and an 800-acre detached archaeological section. The Monument was created to preserve the numerous archaeological features of a late prehistoric period, which represents the transition of the Pueblo Indians from the prehistoric Ancestral Puebloan to modern traditions. Annual visitation exceeds 200,000. The Monument is located 45 miles from Santa Fe, 32 miles from Espanola, and 12 miles from Los Alamos. Elevation ranges from 5,300 to 10,199 feet with headquarters located at 6,000 feet. For more information on Bandelier please see the park website: www.nps.gov/band. Good medical facilities, schools and shopping are available in Los Alamos. Local cost of living is considered high.
Who May Apply: You may apply as an Open Competitive candidate if you are a US Citizen.
· Have you performed carpentry work in order to restore historic buildings?
· Are you skilled in masonry work?
· Can you safely operate power saws, drills, compressors, cement mixers, and bobcat tractors?
You will work almost exclusively with the historic preservation projects group in the Facility Management Division of Bandelier. Projects vary from masonry rehabilitation to wood preservation with the emphasis on masonry. Work must be safely performed primarily in masonry and carpentry duties related to historic structures. Masonry work will include replacing missing or deteriorated mortar joints or loose stone.
- U.S. Citizenship or National
- Resume and supporting documents (See How to Apply)
- Uniform is Required
- Must possess a valid state driver's license
DUTIES:Back to top
· Select appropriate stone to match historic materials, and repointing masonry tools to reproduce unique tooling marks;
· Select and prepare mortars to match historic mortars in color, texture, and composition;
· Apply plaster to match historic earthen plasters used on exterior walls;
· Must be able to reconstruct, restore, or rehabilitate historic wood structures by performing work on such elements as windows, window frames, exterior viga ends, and doors.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following job elements:
- Ability to perform the duties of a Maintenance Worker with little or no supervision.
- Posses a current valid state's drivers license or ability to obtain a valid state driver's license
Physical Effort: Incumbent is required to perform heavy lifting up to 90 pounds in carrying wood, timbers, stones, mortar, cement and sand. Must climb ladders and scaffolds; exposed to dust and dirt while mixing mortars and handling various materials; exposed to possibility of cuts, bruises, and broken bones; and to back strains from heavy lifting. Some of this work is performed inside using power saws and sharp tools. You will be subject to cuts, flying splinters and chips. You will drive in all types of traffic and weather conditions and will be exposed to the possibility to serious accidents, poisonous insects and snakebites.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Qualified candidates will be assigned to a quality category. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following job elements:
· SKILL IN MASONRY
· SKILL IN CARPENTRY WORK
· ABILITY TO INTERPRET INSTRUCTIONS, SPECIFICATIONS, ETC.
· ABILITY TO USE AND MAINTAIN TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
· KNOWLEDGE OF MATERIALS USED IN MAINTENANCE WORK