For all positions individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below.
- Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
In addition to the above:
GS-11: Applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 level (in the Federal sector). Specialized experience is experience that has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills, and ability to successfully perform the duties of this position and is typically in or related to this line work. Examples of specialized experience include Providing guidance for IT related services, equipment, IT/Telecom customer service. Developing plans for the effective use of incident communications equipment; responsible for maintenance and repair.
OR at least one of the following if using education to qualify at this grade level:
(A) a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree; OR
(B) 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.M., if related.
(C) A combination of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 level in or related to the work of this position AND education graduate level education that provided the specific knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of this position and experience. Experience and education combinations are computed by first determining the total qualifying experience as a percentage of the experience required for the grade level; then determining the total of qualifying education as a percentage of the education required for the grade level; and then adding the two percentages. The total percentages must equal at least 100 percent to qualify at that grade level.
This position does not have a positive education requirement.
If you are including education on your resume, report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your résumé and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your experience, education and training will be rated using the on-line assessment to place you in one of three categories. The necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities to perform this job are:
- Knowledge of a wide range of Communications and IT standards, principles, concepts, methods, policies
- Skill in oral and written communication methods and techniques to accomplish; presentations to varying audience level and plan, conduct and participate in Coast Guard IT training
- Ability to support and apply project management principles, practices and methods in serving as the lead to division team to resolve broad-base customer support problems situation
If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be placed in one of the following categories: To preview questions please click here.
1. Best Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
2. Well Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
3. Qualified: Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Your resume and responses to the self-assessment questions are an integral part of the process for determining your qualifications for the position. Therefore, you must support your responses to the self-assessment questions by providing examples of past and present experience in your resume.
Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they are qualified. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best qualified category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher. For information on veterans' preference, click here.