Job Title:Student Trainee (Clerk)
Department:Department Of Agriculture
Agency:Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
Job Announcement Number:PATHBR-2013-0001
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Hour|
|Thursday, March 21, 2013 to
Wednesday, March 27, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
Pathways Internship Program - NTE September 30, 2013.|
|3 vacancies -
Riverdale, MD, USView Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Individuals who have been accepted for enrollment or are enrolled and seeking a degree (diploma, certificate, etc.) in an accredited educational institution on a full or half-time basis.|
Relocation / Housing expenses will not be paid. This is a temporary Pathways Internship Program appointment not-to-exceed September 30, 2013.The anticipated hours are flexible and based on the student's availabiltiy per week. This position is located in Riverdale, Maryland. Applicants must be available to work a regular schedule when classes are in session as well as during scheduled breaks.
The Pathways Internship Program is designed to provide students enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers while still in school and while getting paid for the work performed.
You can make a difference! The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Marketing and Regulatory Programs (MRP) needs bright, energetic and committed professionals to facilitate the domestic and international marketing of U.S. agricultural products and to protect the health and care of animals and plants in the United States. MRP offers an array of occupations and is committed to diversity in the workplace. We operate in domestic and global markets. Be part of an organization that protects the health and agriculture of the American people. Join our team!
APHIS is an emergency response agency. This means that all Agency employees may be asked or assigned to participate in rotating temporary duty assignments to support emergency programs at some time during their careers with APHIS. For details click: APHIS Emergency Response
DUTIES:Back to top
The duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Receives and reviews documents used in the area of work assigned to assure they are complete, accurate, and the appropriate number of copies are received
- Types routine correspondence such as form letters, speed memos, etc., to government and non-government individuals to request and/or furnish information of a technical nature
- Initiates various documents in collection with work
- Gathers and records data and prepares simple reports
- Maintains various subject matter files and withdraws materials from files
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To qualify, you MUST meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
Applicants can qualify by meeting the EDUCATION requirements specified below and/or the General Experience requirements
GS-03: Successful completion of 1 year of study beyond the high school level that includes at least 6 semester hours in any combination of scientific or technical courses such as biology, chemistry, statistics, entomology, animal husbandry, botany, physics, agriculture, or mathematics.
TRANSCRIPTS are required if:
- This position requires specific coursework or a degree in a specific field to be basically qualified.
- You are qualifying for the position based on education.
- Individuals who have been accepted for enrollment or are enrolled and seeking a degree (diploma, certificate, etc.) in educational institution on a full or half-time basis. For more information on submitting transcripts, click: Transcripts
General experience includes progressively responsible clerical, office, or other work that indicates ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position to be filled. Examples may include but are not limited to:
- Ability to identify issues and problems, consider different courses of action and determine which course will produce the most positive outcome.
- Skill in interpersonal communications and ability to accomplish work as a team member
- Skill in using a computer, as well as a variety of commonly used software packages (word processing and spreadsheets)
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-03 GRADE LEVEL: Applicants may have combinations of successfully completed education and general experience to meet total qualification requirements. The total percentages must equal at least 100 percent to qualify for that grade level. To learn more about combining education and experience for this series, click the following: Combining Education and Experience for Clerical and Administrative Support Positions
- Proof of student status must be submitted with the application. Applications will not be considered without this documentation.
- All applicants must be in good academic standing.
- DD214 (Member 4 copy) or other veterans' documents required to receive veterans' preference.
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- If selected, official transcripts will be required prior to entrance on duty.
- A Pathways Participant Agreement will be required if you are selected for a position. The agreement must be signed by all applicable parties prior to entrance on duty.
- As a condition of employment, a background investigation may be required for this position.
- [UPDATE TIMES AS APPLICABLE] Schedule will be determined when student is selected: Hours of work will be between 8:00 am – 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
- [REMOVE IF NOT REQUESTED BY PROGRAM] This Internship confers eligibility for a noncompetitive conversion to a permanent or term position in the competitive service contingent upon meeting all applicable Internship Program requirements and the needs of the agency. You will be considered for conversion to a permanent or term position upon the successful completion of your Internship. However, please note that eligibility for conversion does not guarantee the agency will opt for conversion.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. The following quality categories will be used: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. Within each quality category, veterans' preference eligibles will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
Your final category placement will be based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire.
If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you. To preview questions please click here.