Additional information on the qualification requirements is outlined in the OPM Qualifications Standards Handbook of General Schedule Positions. It is available for your review on OPM's web site at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/standards/indexes/alph-ndx.asp.
GS-7: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade GS-6.
Education: Applicants may substitute education for experience at this grade level also. One full year of graduate education meets the requirements for GS-7.
Combination of Education and Experience:
Applicants may also combine education and experience to qualify at the GS-7 level. To calculate, first identify the percentage of required graduate-level education you have earned. Then identify the percentage of required experience you possess. Add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal at least 100 percent to qualify at the GS-7 level.
GS-7: Applicants must have at least 52 weeks of service at the GS-6 level.
You will be rated on the following Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other characteristics (KSAOs) as part of the assessment questionnaire for this position:
1. Ability/knowledge of surgical procedures performed in various surgical specialties. Completion of a certified surgical program is preferred.
2. Knowledge and understanding of disease, wellness, anatomy and physiology, and body mechanics and skills for communication both verbally and in writing.
3. Knowledge and ability to comply with infection control standards. Knowledge/ability of aseptic and sterile techniques and principles, sterilization and disinfection of surgical instrumentation and endoscopic equipment. Has a strong foundation in the principles of patient safety standards and emergency procedures.
4. Knowledge and ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with all members of the surgical team to include the preoperative registered nurse, staff surgeon surgical residents, and anesthesia providers to achieve positive patient outcomes.
5. Knowledge of and ability to initiate appropriate actions in emergency situations to prevent, treat, or de-escalate crisis situations
Applicant must meet all requirements by closing date of vacancy.
for this position must pass a pre-employment medical examination.
FINAL JOB OFFER IS CONTINGENT UPON PASSING A PHYSICAL (IF REQUIRED), AND RECEIPT OF POSITIVE FEEDBACK FROM LIST OF EXCLUDED INDIVIDUALS/ENTITIES (LEIE), HEALTHCARE INTEGRITY AND PROTECTION DATA BANK (HIPDB) FINGERPRINT CHECKS AND BACKGROUND CHECKS.
For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management's website at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications .
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your resume does not support your questionnaire answer, we will not allow credit for your response(s).
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. *** If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. *** Please refer to this checklist to ensure proper accreditation and for foreign education requirements.
When applying for Federal jobs, eligible veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of DD-214(s) showing all dates of service as well as character of service (honorable, general, etc.). Additionally, veterans with service-connected disability of 10% or more must also submit a copy of their official statement from the Department of Veterans Affairs, or from a branch of the Armed Forces, certifying their service-connected disability and/or their receipt of compensation for service-connected disability. If the military member is within 120 days of separation and does not yet have a DD214, the member may instead submit any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is signed.
Veterans with service-connected disability of less than 10%, non service-connected disability, and Purple Heart recipients, as-well-as those claiming derived preference for a spouse, widow or widower, or natural mother, should refer to and submit a completed " SF15, "Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference," (go to http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf) and required documentation with your application materials. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/veterans.aspx.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Applicants will be ranked based on four quality groups, as follows:
- Best qualified - applicants possessing experience that substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are highly proficient in all requirements of the job and can perform effectively in the position;
- Highly qualified - applicants possessing experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in most of the requirements of the job;
- Well qualified - applicants possessing experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in some, but not all, of the requirements of the job; and
- Qualified - applicants possessing experience and/or education that meets the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors.
After the vacancy announcement closes, reviewed applications are evaluated against the questionnaire responses and placed in the appropriate quality group. Qualified veterans will be afforded preference by being placed at the top of the appropriate quality group. Qualifying veterans with a service-connected disability of 10% or more will be placed at the top of the best qualified group. The best qualified group is the first to be referred to the hiring facility for further consideration and possible interview. The remaining groups may be referred based on the number of applicants available.