To Qualify at the GS-05 Level you must meet one of the following criteria:
Experience: You must have at least one year (12-months) of full-time specialized work experience equivalent to the GS-04 grade level in the Federal service performing the following duties: Under minimal supervision, assisting in one or more phases of research process by performing a variety of standardized or routine duties in a laboratory, field, or greenhouse environment; Using a variety of equipment to record instrument readings, collect samples, and take measurements; Maintaining, calibrating, and modifying equipment and automated systems used for test and evaluation procedures; Keeping detailed records and maintaining an inventory of chemical and biological materials
Education: You must have successfully completed 4 years (120 semester hours) of study above high school at an accredited college or university that included at least 24 semester hours in any combination of the following courses: biology, chemistry, statistics, entomology, animal husbandry, botany, physics, agriculture, or mathematics. (YOU MUST SUBMIT TRANSCRIPTS)
Combination of Education and Experience: If you do not possess the required amount of experience or education listed above, an equivalent combination of education and experience may be qualifying. For example, 6 months of the specialized experience described above (50% of the experience requirement), and 1 year of college study from an accredited institution (50% of the qualifying education) as specified above equals 100% of the total requirement. Note: Only undergraduate education in excess of the first two years (60 semester hours) may be combined with experience at the GS-5 grade level (YOU MUST SUBMIT TRANSCRIPTS)
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
Applicants must be available to report for duty at the time a selection is made. Selections are typically made within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
This position is open to all US Citizens and Nationals, and Noncompetitive and Special Hiring Authority eligibles. You may apply under open-competitive, and noncompetitive procedures, however; you must meet the requirements for one of the following categories to apply as a noncompetitive eligible.
1. A current permanent competitive service employee; former Federal employee who achieved career status in the competitive service; or former Federal employee who served on a career conditional appointment without achieving career status in the competitive service who was separated less than three years ago. This includes applicants who have previously held, or currently hold this position and grade with the same promotion potential as announced for this announcement. You must submit the SF-50 that shows competitive service eligibility to be considered.
2. A Veteran applying for a Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA), must submit a copy of your DD-214 showing an honorable discharge to be considered. Eligibility for VRA appointments includes Disabled veterans; Veterans who served on active duty in the Armed Forces during a war declared by Congress, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized; Veterans who, while serving on active duty in the Armed Forces, participated in a military operation for which the Armed Forces Service Medal was awarded; and Veterans separated from active duty within the past 3 years. Disabled veterans must provide the SF-15 and supporting documentation from the VA along with DD-214. NOTE: VRA only applies to positions at the GS-11 level and below.
3. A 30% or more Disabled Veteran. You must submit your DD214, a completed SF-15, and letter from the VA dated 1991 or later as proof to be considered.
4. A military spouse. Military spouses are eligible if their active duty military spouse: 1) receives a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move; 2) has a 100% disability rating; or 3) died while on active duty. Please submit supporting documentation as proof to be considered.
5. A Severely Physically Handicapped Schedule 'A' Appointment. Please submit documentation from a State or Federal Vocational Rehabilitation Service as proof to be considered.
6. A Former Peace Corps or VISTA Volunteers Appointment. Please submit documentation as proof to be considered.
7. Interchange Agreements and Miscellaneous Authorities. Please submit documentation as proof to be considered.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated and rated under Category Rating Procedures. Qualified candidates will be placed for selection consideration into three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veterans' preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans. Your resume will be reviewed and compared against your responses to the online questionnaire. We strongly encourage you to answer every question that accompanies this vacancy, as your responses will better highlight your specific qualifications.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies:
- Knowledge of the principles of biological and agricultural research
- Ability to adapt, develop, or improve research techniques and procedures
- Ability to obtain, tabulate, statistically analyze, and summarize research data
- Ability to use scientific instrumentation
Please note that your resume must thoroughly support your responses to the assessment questionnaire. High self-assessment in the applicant questions that is not supported by information in your resume may eliminate you from best-qualified status and subsequent referral to the selecting official.
Displaced/Surplus Employees: Individuals eligible under the USDA Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) must be well qualified for the position to receive consideration for special priority selection. CTAP and ICTAP eligibles within the local commuting area will be considered well qualified if the applicant meets the basic eligibility requirements and all selective factors, and is rated in the Well Qualified Category as described in the How You Will Be Evaluated section. Employees seeking CTAP/ICTAP eligibility must submit a copy of the agency notice, a copy of their most recent performance rating and a copy of their most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level and duty location. Please annotate your application to reflect that you are applying as a CTAP or ICTAP eligible. CLICK HERE for additional information on CTAP and ICTAP.