Job Title:IT Specialist (Security), ZP-2210-04 (DIRECT HIRE)
Department:Department Of Commerce
Agency:National Telecommunications and Information Administration
Job Announcement Number:NTIA-ITS-2013-0010
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Wednesday, March 20, 2013 to
Wednesday, March 27, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Boulder, CO, USView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|All qualified United States citizens. |
The Institute for Telecommunication Sciences (ITS) is the research and engineering laboratory of the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA). ITS supports the promotion of advanced telecommunications and information infrastructure development in the U.S., enhancement of domestic competitiveness, improvement of foreign trade opportunities for U.S. telecommunications firms, and facilitation of more efficient and effective use of the radio spectrum. ITS also serves as a principal resource for solving the telecommunications concerns of other Federal agencies, state and local Governments, private corporations, and international organizations.
Over the past century, radio and wireless systems and telecommunications networks have become essential to life itself. ITS is a national leader in radio science and telecommunications systems. Become part of a team that solves telecommunications and information management challenges for Federal and state agencies and provides the nation with scientific information to thrive in an ever-changing world. This is an exciting opportunity to work on ground breaking information technology services in support of some of the nation’s highest priorities. We are looking for someone with cutting edge technical skills and project management experience.
PUBLIC NOTICE: This position is in the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, Institute for Telecommunication Sciences located in Boulder, CO. ITS is the principal telecommunications research laboratory for NTIA and other federal agencies. ITS employs ever-increasing information technology resources to carry out this mission.
This position will be filled under the DOC Alternative Personnel System (CAPS). This system replaced the Federal GS pay plan and structure. Under CAPS, positions are classified by career, pay plan, and pay band. The ZP-IV is equivalent to the GS-13/14 grades.
This position is being posted under Office of Personnel Management Direct Hire Authority authorized by 5 United States Code (U.S.C.), Section 3304 and 5 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 337, Subpart B. Category Rating, Veteran's Preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to the Direct Hire process. For more information of Office of Personnel Management Direct-Hire Authority, please click here Direct-Hire Authorities.
Relocation is not authorized. This is a non-bargaining unit position.
- U.S. citizen. Suitable for Federal Employment.
- Registered for Selective Service if applicable (www.sss.gov).
- All qualifications must be met by the closing of the announcement.
- A one-year trial period may be required.
DUTIES:Back to top
The individual selected for this position will:
- Monitor IT operations and systems ensuring that the security policies, procedures, and configurations are followed and implemented;
- Execute and test plans to ensure system integrity and availability for overseeing system, install application software, and monitor system performance and security events;
- Elevate performance anomalies to the system owner and security anomalies to the system owner and the Department's computer incident response team;
- Implement a regular schedule for vulnerability testing of infrastructure components to ensure security patches are current on all devices, and that intrusion detection sensors (IDS) or system audit logs are properly configured and events are monitored;
- Assess the security impact of configuration changes to the system, evaluate the cost-effective security alternatives, and approve security- related solutions;
- Monitor the timely completion of corrective action to resolve security-weaknesses identified in self-assessments or external reviews of controls;
- Coordinate with the system owner on security issues and reporting on the security posture of the organization's system;
- Implement and maintain password management and controls, and periodically review and re-grant system access privileges to all user;
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Qualification requirements in vacancy announcements are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualifications standards. This handbook is available on OPM's website at: Qualification Standards
There are no education requirements for this position.
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and responsibility to the next lower grade level in the Federal Service ZP-04 (GS-12). Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position and is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. This experience need not have been in the federal government. Such experience is typically gained in the IT field or through the performance of work where the primary concern is IT.
Specialized experience for the ZP-04 position is defined as: Experience using network management tools, including Windows Active Directory, McAfee Enterprise Firewall, and Cisco Firewall and Switches; Experience developing and administering a network security program. Any of the following IT Security Officer certifications: Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Certified Information Security Manager (CISM), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), Certification and Accreditation Professional (CAP), Global Information Assurance Certification (GIAC). AND For all grade levels, individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating:
1. Attention to detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
2. Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
3. Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgement to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations. NOTE: Your resume must document specialized experience and support your responses to the vacancy questions. For more information about the qualification requirements for this position: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/Standards/IORs/gs2200/2210-AltA.asp
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. To preview questions please click here.