Job Title: Student Trainee (Administrative), (Not to Exceed 89 days) GS-0399-01/02/03/04/05Job Announcement Number: NSF-2013-0024
Agency: National Science Foundation
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 to
Thursday, April 04, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Summer appointments are temporary positions not to exceed 89 days.
FEW vacancies -
Arlington, VA, US View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
Open to any U.S. Citizen, at least 16 years old, who is a student that will be enrolled for Spring 2013/Fall 2013 semester in a degree or certificate-seeking program taking at least a half-time course load. You also need to have at least a 2.5 grade point average on a 4.0 scale. THIS IS A SUMMER POSITION NOT TO EXCEED 89 DAYS ONLY.
Ever wonder who discovers a black hole? Who tracks monarch butterfly flight patterns or hosts a conference for robots? Believe it or not, the National Science Foundation helps to make all of these things possible! In addition to funding research in traditional academic areas, the agency supports innovative ideas, novel collaborations and numerous projects that may seem like science fiction today, but become the reality of tomorrow.
This internship opportunity allows students to see how both the federal government and NSF operate. Together, we ensure that the daily operations at NSF run smoothly and serve the needs of the science, engineering and education communities to produce results. Join us today! Positions under this vacancy announcement will be filled under the Internship component of the Pathways Programs hiring authority:
About Summer Employment at NSF:
- Veteran’s preference rules will be applied in filling these positions.
- When you apply for a summer position, you are not applying for one specific position.
- This vacancy announcement will be used to select multiple students to work at the National Science Foundation.
- Eligible students must be enrolled at least half-time in an accredited academic institution and maintain a 2.5 GPA or higher.
- To be considered for other Intern positions at NSF, you must reapply each time a new announcement is posted.
- Summer appointments are temporary positions not to exceed 89 days. Interns will be required to sign a Pathways Programs Participant Agreement prior to appointment.
- THIS IS A SUMMER APPOINTMENT NOT TO EXCEED 89 DAYS;
- You must type 40 words per minute with no more than three errors;
- You must have a grade point average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale;
- You must be taking at least a half-time course load;
- Background investigation;
- Preview questions at bottom of Qualifications & Evaluations--see tab above
DUTIES:Back to top
Our Student Trainees (Administrative) are clerical positions. They provide support to National Science Foundation scientists and administrators who promote and fund the best possible awards through grants. These positions can be your first step into a fulfilling career at NSF. As a Student Trainee (Administrative) you will:
- Type a variety of documents
- Enter data
- Sort and distribute mail
- Maintain files
- Assist office visitors and callers
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
- You must be able to type at least 40 words per minute with no more than three errors.
- To apply for the GS-1 level ($10.60 per hour) job, you must be at least 16 years old and enrolled in high school.
- To apply for the GS-2 level ($11.91 per hour) job, you must have 3 months of full-time clerical experience OR have graduated from high school (e.g., freshmen year of college).
- To apply for the GS-3 level ($13.00 per hour) job, you must have 6 months of full-time clerical experience OR 1 year of education above the high school (e.g., be going into your sophomore year of college).
- To apply for the GS-4 level ($14.59 per hour) job, you must have 1 year of full-time clerical experience OR 2 years of education above high school (e.g., be going into your junior year of college).
- To apply for the GS-5 level ($16.33 per hour) job, you must have 1 year of full-time experience at the GS-4 level OR 4 years of education above high school (e.g., going into your 5th year of college or graduated with a Bachelor's degree and enrolled in a Master's program).
- A combination of education and experience can also be used to qualify for all levels.
All Education must be accredited by an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accredited institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants may verify accreditation at the following website: Accreditation
Note: Certificate program is defined as post-secondary education in a qualifying educational institution equal to at least one academic year of full-time study that's part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum.
Education may be substituted for experience as described in "Qualifications."
You must meet eligibility and qualification requirements within 30 days of the closing date. You must answer all job-related questions in the NSF eRecruit questionnaire. All online applicants must provide a valid email address. If your email address is inaccurate or your mailbox is full or blocked, you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.
This position is outside of the bargaining unit.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Applicant qualifications will be assessed based on level of completed education and relevant work experience.
Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligibles. Based on your responses to the occupational questionnaire, you will be assigned a score. Your score will determine in which of three categories you will be placed: Excellent, Very Good, or Good. Under this process, veterans will be assigned to the appropriate category (without additional preference points) and then placed at the top of their category. To preview questions please click here.
Veterans with service-connected disability of 10% or more will be placed at the top of the highest quality category.
Review your resume and responses carefully. Responses that are not fully supported by the information in your application package may result in adjustments to your score. A Human Resources Representative will validate the qualifications of those candidates eligible to be referred to the selecting official.
BENEFITS:Back to top
A GREAT LOCATION! The National Science Foundation is conveniently located one block from the Ballston Metro Station, a few blocks from Routes 66 and 50, and about three miles from downtown Washington. Employees may rent parking spaces in the building garage. There are many shops and restaurants within easy walking distance.