All applicants applying for the GS-05 grade level or above must meet one of the following basic requirements:
A. You have (or within 9 months will have) a bachelors or higher degree with a major in: computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management, OR you have a bachelors or higher degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks; OR
B. You have IT-related experience reviewing routine IT data; editing and disseminating written reports; providing standard IT products and services to customers; demonstrating attention to detail when performing work; working with clients and customers to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; orally expressing information to individuals or groups effectively; listening to others and responding appropriately; and identifying and evaluating problems and making recommendations to solve them.
Applicants applying for the GS-07 grade level must meet one of the following requirements (in addition to the basic requirements for all applicants described above):
A. You have (or within 9 months will have) a bachelor's degree in one of the majors listed above and superior academic achievement. Superior academic achievement is generally defined by an earned grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0. For information on additional ways to meet the superior academic achievement provision, see http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/SEC-II/s2-e5.asp#e4f OR
B. You have (or within 9 months will have) completed at least one year of graduate education in one of the majors listed above; OR
C. You have at least one year of specialized experience performing duties related to the specialty for which you are applying:
For all specialties, you must also have experience editing written reports, providing standard products and services, solving routine problems and gathering and communicating basic ideas clearly.
Applicants applying for the GS-09 grade level must meet one of the following requirements (in addition to the basic requirements for all applicants described above):
A. You have (or within 9 months will have) a masters degree or equivalent graduate degree, or completed two years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a masters degree or equivalent graduate degree, in one of the majors listed above; OR
B. You have at least one year of specialized experience performing duties related to the specialty for which you are applying:
- Systems Administration: one year of systems administration experience in a Windows or Linux/UNIX environment; a working knowledge of the capabilities and limitations of the above operating systems; some experience writing shell scripts and providing technical support. For further details, see http://www.census.gov/hrd/www/jobs/spec_sys.html.
- Network Services: one year of LAN support or management experience in a Windows or Linux/UNIX environment installing, troubleshooting and configuring PCs and peripherals; responding to service requests and trouble tickets; server administration for a 200+ user network; and administering systems to track IT assets in excess of 5,000. For further details, see http://www.census.gov/hrd/www/jobs/spec_network.html.
- Security: one year applying IT security principles, methods and tools, preparing and updating IT security manuals, instructions and operating procedures. For further details, see http://www.census.gov/hrd/www/jobs/spec_sec.html.
For all specialties, you must also have experience drafting and editing written reports, assessing customer needs and identifying products to meet them, explaining moderately complex information clearly, and resolving non-routine issues.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show proof that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign educational credentials and that such education has been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education programs. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made to verify that minimum qualification requirements are met. After this review is complete, you will receive a notice indicating your eligibility for the grade level(s) to which you applied. Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics): customer service; problem solving; oral communication; attention to detail; help desk administration; UNIX/Linux systems administration; platforms supported; IT security; and telecommunications and network support.
Competitive Hiring (Category Rating):
Once the hiring agency submits a request to fill a position, you will be placed in one of three pre-defined quality categories. The three categories are:
· Gold - Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of possession of all evaluation criteria.
· Silver - Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of possession of the evaluation criteria.
· Bronze - Applicants possessing the specialized experience described above.
Application of Veterans' Preference: Category rating and selection procedures place those with veterans preference above non-preference eligibles within each category. Veterans who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent are listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher.
Direct-Hire Authority (IT-Security ONLY)
Candidates that meet the qualifications as described in this vacancy announcement and are determined as Best Qualified will be forwarded to the Selecting Official for consideration. Traditional rating and ranking of applicants and veteran's preference do not apply.