Time-in-Grade Restriction - Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements. Time-in-grade requirements for this position must be met by the closing date of the announcement. For the GS-05 level, these applicants must have held at least the GS-04 grade or higher for a year. For the GS-07 level, these applicants must have held at least the GS-05 grade or higher for a year. (MUST SUBMIT AN SF-50 THAT SHOWS TIME-IN-GRADE ELIGIBILITY AS SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION)
Information Technology Competencies:
In addition to the specialized experience described below, you must have IT-related experience in each of the following four competencies which must be supported by the information contained in your resume and other application materials.
- Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
Minimum Qualifications for VH-34 (Equivalent to the GS-05):
Specialized Experience: At least one full year (12-months) of specialized work experience gained in the public or private sector and equivalent to the VH-33 and/or GS-04 grade levels in the Federal service. Qualifying experience includes:
- assisting computer users with accessing and utilizing computer programs;
- assisting with the installation, configuration, maintenance and/or upgrade of computer hardware and software;
- troubleshooting user problems; and providing technical support.
Education: A Bachelor's degree or have completed a 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management. (MUST SUBMIT COPIES OF TRANSCRIPTS)
Minimum Qualifications for VH-34AP (Equivalent to the GS-07):
Specialized Experience: At least one full year (12-months) of specialized work experience gained in the public or private sector and equivalent to the VH-34 (GS-05) grade levels in the Federal service. Qualifying experience includes:
- providing computer software and hardware support for local and off-site users;
- installation, configuration, maintenance and upgrade of hardware and software;
- providing end-user software troubleshooting and support; and
- providing phone and help desk support for local and off-site users.
Education: One year (18 semester hours) of graduate level education in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, or statistics.**(MUST SUBMIT COPIES OF TRANSCRIPTS)
Superior Academic Achievement (SAA): To qualify for SAA, you must have completed all requirements for a bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, or statistics and meet one of the following:
1. A grade point average of "B" (a GPA of 2.95 or higher out of a possible4.0) for all completed undergraduate courses, or those completed in the last two years of undergraduate study.
2. A grade point average of "B+" (a GPA of 3.45 or higher out of a possible 4.0) for all courses in your major field of study, or those courses in your major completed in the last two years of undergraduate study.
3. Rank in the upper one-third of your class in the college, university, or major subdivision.
4. Membership in a national honor society (other than freshman honor societies) recognized by the Association of College Honor Societies.*If more than 10 percent of your courses were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim must be based on class standing or membership in an honorary society
**(MUST SUBMIT COPIES OF TRANSCRIPTS)
SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FACTOR
Applicants must meet the following selective placement factor: Experience as Tier 1 support of Windows 7 Operating System programs and Microsoft Office 2010 and/or experience assisting users and/or customers with setting up, accessing, andtrouble-shooting Windows 7 Operating System programs and Microsoft Office 2010.
Physical Demands: The work requires some physical exertion such as bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, and lifting of moderately heavy objects up to 30 pounds.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your resume does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s).
This position is open to all US Citizens and Nationals, Competitive Merit Promotion, and Noncompetitive and Special Hiring Authority eligibles. (If applying as a US Citizen or National, Please choose Occupational Specialty 001 when applying) You may apply under open-competitive, merit promotion, and noncompetitive procedures, however; you must meet the requirements for one of the following categories to apply as a merit promotion or noncompetitive eligible.
1. A current permanent competitive service employee; former Federal employee who achieved career status in the competitive service; or former Federal employee who served on a career conditional appointment without achieving career status in the competitive service who was separated less than three years ago. This includes applicants who have not previously held, or currently hold this position and grade with the same promotion potential as announced for this announcement. You must submit the SF-50 that shows competitive service eligibility to be considered. (Please choose Occupational Specialty 002 when applying)
2. A current permanent competitive service employee; former Federal employee who achieved career status in the competitive service; or former Federal employee who served on a career conditional appointment without achieving career status in the competitive service who was separated less than three years ago. This includes applicants who have previously held, or currently hold this position and grade with the same promotion potential as announced for this announcement. You must submit the SF-50 that shows competitive service eligibility to be considered. (Please choose Occupational Specialty 003 when applying)
3. A Veteran applying under the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA), must submit a copy of your DD-214 showing an honorable discharge to be considered. To be eligible for a VEOA appointment, a veteran must be honorably separated and either a preference eligible or have substantially completed 3 or more years of active service. ("Active Service" under this law means active duty in a uniformed service and includes full-time training duty, annual training duty, full-time National Guard duty, and attendance, while in the active service, at a school designated as a service school by law or by the Secretary concerned.) A veteran who is released under honorable conditions shortly before completing a 3-year tour is also eligible. A DD-214 that includes beginning and ending dates of service and character of discharge (Member Copy 4) must be submitted to verify eligibility. NOTE: Current employees applying under VEOA must submit a qualifying SF-50 to show they meet time-in-grade requirements. (Please choose Occupational Specialty 002 when applying)
4. A Veteran applying for a Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA), must submit a copy of your DD-214 showing an honorable discharge to be considered. Eligibility for VRA appointments includes Disabled veterans; Veterans who served on active duty in the Armed Forces during a war declared by Congress, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized; Veterans who, while serving on active duty in the Armed Forces, participated in a military operation for which the Armed Forces Service Medal was awarded; and Veterans separated from active duty within the past 3 years. Disabled veterans must provide the SF-15 and supporting documentation from the VA along with DD-214. NOTE: VRA only applies to positions at the GS-11 level and below. (Please choose Occupational Specialty 003 when applying)
5. A 30% or more Disabled Veteran. You must submit your DD214, a completed SF-15, and letter from the VA dated 1991 or later as proof to be considered. (Please choose Occupational Specialty 003 when applying)
6. A military spouse. Military spouses are eligible if their active duty military spouse: 1) receives a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move; 2) has a 100% disability rating; or 3) died while on active duty. Please submit supporting documentation as proof to be considered. (Please choose Occupational Specialty 003 when applying)
7. A Severely Physically Handicapped Schedule 'A' Appointment. Please submit documentation from a State or Federal Vocational Rehabilitation Service as proof to be considered. (Please choose Occupational Specialty 003 when applying)
8. A Former Peace Corps or VISTA Volunteers Appointment. Please submit documentation as proof to be considered. (Please choose Occupational Specialty 003 when applying)
9. Interchange Agreements and Miscellaneous Authorities. Please submit documentation as proof to be considered. (Please choose Occupational Specialty 003 when applying)
Please be sure to select the appropriate specialty code. You will only be considered under the specialty code you choose. Choosing the inappropriate specialty code may result in loss of consideration.
Active Duty Service Members-- You must submit a statement of discharge/certification of release or an official written document from the armed forces that certifies you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions no later than 120 days from the date the certification is signed. Enlisted Record Briefs and military identification do NOT qualify as official documentation.
If the appropriate information is not submitted to confirm the discharge status, dates of service, etc., you will not be considered for this job opportunity under Veteran Preference procedures. To gain access to your DD-214 online please visit http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/get-service-records.html
For more information on Veteran Authorities, consult the Vet Guide at: http://www.opm.gov/employ/veterans/html/vetguide.asp
Surplus or Displaced Federal Employees: If you are an eligible Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) applicant you may apply for special selection over other candidates for this position. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy under open-competitive procedures, displaced Federal employees must meet the middle quality level established under category rating procedures. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy under merit promotion procedures, displaced Federal employees must be rated with the Well-Qualified category OR receive an 80 or above on the rating criteria for this position. CTAP and ICTAP eligibles must submit the following as proof of eligibility for the special selection priority:
- A copy of your certificate of expected separation, reduction-in-force notice, or other documentation which establishes you are being or have been displaced from a Federal position AND
- A copy of your most recent performance appraisal demonstrating a rating of at least fully successful or equivalent (Note: this is required unless you are an CTAP/ICTAP eligible due to compensable injury, illness, or disability) AND
- A copy of your most recent SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) or other official documentation which shows the position you may be or are being separated from has the same or higher promotion potential as that of the vacancy, your duty location, and that you are serving as a career or career conditional competitive service employee in tenure group 1 or 2, OR are a current or former Executive Branch agency employee in the excepted service serving on an appointment without time limit, at grade levels GS-15 or equivalent and below, and who has been conferred noncompetitive appointment eligibility and special selection priority by statute for positions in the competitive service
- A Military Department or National Guard Bureau notification that shows you are receiving a special disability retirement from the US Office of Personnel Management under 5 U.S.C. 8337(h) or 8456 AND
- Official documentation which shows your duty location and the position you may be or are being separated from has the same or higher promotion potential as that of the vacancy
More information about CTAP and ICTAP eligibility may be found at 5 CFR 330 and at this link: http://www.opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories - Highly Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Knowledge of IT principles, methods, and practices.
Knowledge of Information Technology customer service and customer support principles and methods.
Knowledge of techniques to install, maintain, and integrate IT software.
Ability to communicate orally
Ability to communicate in writing.