Job Title:Public Health Advisor
Department:Department Of Health And Human Services
Agency:Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Job Announcement Number:HHS-CDC-M2-13-853717
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Monday, March 18, 2013 to
Thursday, March 28, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Atlanta, GA United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles) |
Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
Who May Apply: Federal employees with career or career-conditional appointments in the competitive service; former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility based on previous career or career-conditional appointments; displaced Federal employees requesting special priority selection consideration under the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP); veterans who are preference eligibles or who have been separated under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous active service; Military Spouses; PHS Commissioned Corps Officers; and individuals with disabilities.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Centers for Disease Control Prevention (CDC), National Center For Chronic Disease Prevention Prevention and Health Promotion (NCCDPHP), Office on Smoking and Health (OSH) in Atlanta, GA.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-D2-13-857800 under competitive procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under competitive procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical location.
CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Backgound Investigation is required.
DUTIES:Back to top
The incumbent of this position serves as a senior public health advisor and is responsible for planning, developing, and implementing public health programs in collaboration with local, state, other Federal and/or international governments and various public, non-profit, private and health-related organizations. Works to develop public health messages with subject matter experts and develops messages into appropriate end-products for communicating public health information to target audiences. Analyzes existing or proposed systems, strategies, services, or other health-related matters. Identifies needs for improvements and the methods and resources to accomplish such improvements. Develops, implements, and monitors performance evaluation and tracking systems. Evaluates and analyzes data collection and utilization methods and quality control. Provides leadership in developing and implementing program plans, and data sets consistent with funding requirements and national initiatives. Plans, implements, and presents training systems for health practitioners, researchers, and other professionals. Research and analyze the cause of product problems that are caused by controversial, complex, and often conflicting corrective actions, as needed. Reviews congressional and legislative actions and assesses impact on public health programs activities, initiatives, and policies and initiates action accordingly.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
GS-12: Applicants must have at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include experience in providing technical consultation, administrative, and management advice in carrying out and promoting public health programs activities.
GS-13: Applicants must have at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant withthe particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include experience in providing technical consultation, administrative, and management advice in carrying out and promoting tobacco control public health programs activities.
Documenting experience: In accordance with Office of Personnel Management policy, federal employees are assumed to have gained experience by performing duties and responsibilities appropriate for their official series and grade level as described in their position description. Experience that would not normally be part of the employee's position is creditable, however, when documented by satisfactory evidence, such as a signed memorandum from the employee's supervisor or an SF-50 or SF-52 documenting an official detail or other official assignment. The documentation must indicate whether the duties were performed full time or, if part time, the percentage of times the other duties were performed. It is expected that this documentation is included in the employee's official personnel record. In order to receive credit for experience in your resume that is not within the official series and grade level of your official position, you must provide a copy of the appropriate documentation of such experience as indicated above.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
6. One-year probationary period may be required.
7. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: No
8. Bargaining Unit Position: No
9. Drug Screening Required: No
10. Travel required with position: Yes, 10%
11. Recruitment Incentive may be authorized: No
12. Annual Leave for non-federal service authorized: No
13. Research position: No
14. Promotion potential: Yes. This position has promotion potential to the GS-13. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your meeting qualifications and time-in-grade requirements, demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and administrative approval. Promotion to the next grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
15. Supervisory position: No
16. Time in grade (TIG) must be met within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
1. Knowledge of public health programs related to tobacco.
2. Ability to manage and analyze data.
3. Skill in oral communication.
4. Skill in written communication.