Specialized Experience Requirement
To be qualified for this position, you must provide evidence of experience in a managerial capacity. Typically, experience of this nature is gained at or above the GS-15 grade level in the Federal service, or its equivalent with state or local government, the private sector, or nongovernmental organizations.
Senior Executive Service Requirements
Current or former career SES employees are not required to address the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs), but must address the Mandatory Technical Qualifications. Unless you are currently serving under a career SES appointment, are eligible for reinstatement into the SES, or have successfully completed a SES Candidate Development Program approved by OPM, you must submit a narrative statement covering each of the Executive Core Qualifications in order to receive consideration for the position.
Public Health Service Commissioned Corps Officers interested in applying for this position to serve in the SES must resign their commission if selected. If you are applying under this option, you must address both the Mandatory Technical Qualifications and Executive Core Qualifications in this announcement. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of the position within the Commissioned Corps must address the Mandatory Technical Qualifications but are not required to address the Executive Core Qualifications.
Additional information on the proper preparation of ECQs is available by going to the Office of Personnel Management's web site at http://www.opm.gov/ses/references/GuidetoSESQuals_2010.pdf. Applicants are encouraged to follow the Challenge, Context, Action, and Result model outlined in the guide.
When responding to the Executive Core Qualifications, you must clearly show that you possess the experience, knowledge, skills and ability to perform the duties of this position by submitting narrative responses in which you detail your experience in each Executive Core Qualification.
Your examples should be clear and emphasize your level of responsibilities, scope and complexity of programs managed, program accomplishments with results of your actions, policy initiatives and level of contacts. In addition, your responses should highlight your experience, training, and achievements in conjunction with the resume that you provide. You should limit your narrative to two pages per each ECQ.
Mandatory Technical Qualifications
In addition to specialized experience, applicants must possess the following technical qualifications that represent the knowledge, skills, and abilities essential to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position:
1. Senior level experience as a leader in a complex organization managing, planning, directing, and evaluating multidisciplinary activities of significant scope and effect.
2. Demonstrated ability to build strong working relationships among people and organizations with diverse interests and/or opinions, such as industry, professional, public health or consumer organizations, media, other federal, state, or local agencies, foreign governments and Members of Congress.
3. Experience advising senior officials and implementing organizational policy.
It is desired that you have:
1. Training, professional development, and outside professional activities that provide evidence of initiative, resourcefulness and potential for effective job performance at a senior level and honors, awards, or other recognition for performance or contributions related to the position.
2. An advanced degree such as Juris Doctorate, Doctor of Philosophy, Medical Doctor, Masters in Business Administration or a Masters in Public Health degree.
Executive Core Qualifications (ECQ)
Fundamental Competencies: The following competencies are the foundation for success in each of the ECQs. Interpersonal Skills; Oral Communication; Integrity/Honesty; Written Communication; Continual Learning; and Public Service Motivation. These Fundamental Competencies are cross-cutting and should be addressed over the course of your ECQ narratives.
1. Leading Change: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment. (Competencies: creativity and innovation, external awareness, flexibility, resilience, strategic thinking, vision)
2. Leading People: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. (Competencies: conflict management, leveraging diversity, developing others, team building)
3. Results Driven: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. (Competencies: accountability, customer service, decisiveness, entrepreneurship, problem solving, technical credibility)
4. Business Acumen: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. (Competencies: financial management, human capital management, technology management)
5. Building Coalitions: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. (Competencies: partnering, political savvy, influencing/negotiating)
Degree that included at least 30 semester hours in one or a combination of the following:
biological sciences, chemistry, pharmacy, physical sciences, food technology, nutrition, medical science, engineering, epidemiology, veterinary medical science, or related scientific fields that provided knowledge directly to consumer safety officer work. The 30 semester hours can include up to 8 semester hours in statistics, or course work that included the principles, theory, or practical application of computers or computer programming.
Combination of education and experience -- courses consisting of at least 30 semester hours in the fields of study described in above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
The Ethics in Government Act, PL 95-521 requires the applicant selected for this position to submit a financial disclosure statement, SF-278, prior to assuming the SES position, annually, and upon termination of employment. Status applicants must submit a copy of their most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, which verifies status.
All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, disabling condition, membership in an employee organization, or any other non-merit factors.
All initial appointments to an SES position are contingent on approval from OPM's Qualifications Review Board unless the selectee has successfully participated in an OPM approved SES Candidate Development Program.
In accordance with Federal and Agency Travel regulations, the payment of travel and relocation expenses may be reimbursed for travel, transportation and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty to this position.
As a condition of employment, all male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must have registered for the selective service. If selected for this position, the applicant must sign a statement certifying his registration, or the applicant must demonstrate exempt status under the Selective Service Law.
Only experience obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your resume and narrative responses to the technical qualifications and the five Executive Core Qualifications are an integral part of the process for determining your basic and specialized qualifications for the position. Responses that are not supported by your resume will eliminate you from consideration. Your application will be evaluated in the following manner:
1. Application packages will be reviewed for completeness (incomplete or late packages will not receive further consideration).
2. Basic qualifications review. Your resume and questionnaire will be reviewed to ensure that you meet the Specialized Experience Requirement. (If you do not meet this requirement, you will not receive further consideration).
3. Review of your supplemental qualifications document to determine your rating.