Department of Veterans Affairs, VA Healthcare Network
Houston VA Medical Center
Sterile Processing Services/ Reusable Medical Equipment Project Nurse
· Directs and implements practice according to established polices, standards of care and standards of practice
· Demonstrates leadership in providing and improving the delivery of nursing care
· Responsible to the Associate Chief of Nursing Operations
· Initiates policies relative to practice area
· Demonstrates competencies specific to Reusable Medical Equipment , (RME), and Sterile Processing Services (SPS).
· The SPS/RME program supports MEDVAMC policy of providing a culture of safety, ensuring that patients/residents are cared for safely while maintaining a safe work environment for employees.
· Citizen of the United States
· Graduate of an NLN accredited or State approved School of Nursing
· Current RN licensure
· Physical and intellectual capacity to satisfactorily perform assigned duties
Education and Experience
· BSN and approximately 2 to 3 years successful nursing practice (REQUIRED)
· MSN or Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2 - 3 years successful nursing practice (REQUIRED)
Assignments to Specialty Areas
· Requirements will be identified through Role Specific competencies.
Physical Standards and Environmental Factors
- Compliant with the following physical standards and environmental factors;
- Heavy lifting, 50 pounds & over
- Heavy carrying, 50 pounds & over
- Straight pulling (1-2 hours)
- Pushing (1-2 hours)
- Walking (2-4 hours)
- Standing (2-6 hours)
- Use of fingers
- Both hands required;
- Ability for rapid mental & muscular coordination simultaneously
- Near Vision correctable
- Far Vision correctable
- Depth perception
- Hearing (aide permitted)
- Work closely with others, as well as, protracted or irregular hours of work
- Use stretchers to transfer patients and use patient lifts, if applicable
NOTE: RELOCATION EXPENSES WILL NOT BE REIMBURSED.
Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia. In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. Must be proficient in spoken and written English.
Applicant's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows: Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization, Professional Development: performance, education/career development, Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality, Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Reference: VA Handbook 5005/27, Part II, Appendix G-6 NURSE QUALIFICATION STANDARD http://www1.va.gov/vapubs/viewPublication.asp?Pub_ID=464&FType=2
Relocation expenses will not be reimbursed.