U.S. CITIZEN (i.e. by birth or naturalization)
ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY: MRTs must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Chapter 2, Section D(5)a.
EXPERIENCE: Two years of experience that demonstrates the applicant's ability to perform the work, or provides familiarity with the work. Six months of the required 2 years of experience must have provided the knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics needed to perform MRT work.
EDUCATION: (Copies of Transcripts Required)
Successful completion of an associate's degree with a major field of study in medical record technology/health information technology which was accredited by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) at the time the program was completed.
EXPERIENCE/ EDUCATION COMBINATION: Equivalent combinations of experience and education are qualifying. The following educational/training substitutions are appropriate in this provision for combining education and experience:
(1) Successful completion of an associate's degree in a field of study other than medical records/health information will substitute for 18 months of the required experience.
(2) Successful completion of a course for medical technicians, hospital corpsmen, medical service specialists, or hospital training, obtained in a training program given by the Armed Forces or the U.S. Maritime Service under close medical and professional supervision may be substituted on a month for month basis for up to 1 year of experience.
(3) Successful completion of a post-high school course of study in medical record terminology, which includes courses in anatomy, physiology and medical record techniques and procedures, may substitute on a month for month basis for up to 1 year of experience.
(4) Successful completion of post-high school courses for medical administrative personnel, obtained in a closely supervised training program given by the Armed Forces, may be substituted for experience on a month by month basis for up to 6 months provided the training program included courses in anatomy, physiology and medical records techniques and procedures.
GS-9 GRADE REQUIREMENTS:
One year of experience comparable to the next lower grade level (GS-8) and must fully meet the KSAs at that level. The Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs) at the GS-8 level are:
(1) Ability to analyze the medical record to identify all pertinent diagnoses and procedures for coding, and to evaluate the adequacy of the documentation. This includes the ability to read and understand the content of the medical record, the terminology, the significance of the comments, and the disease process/pathophysiology of the patient;
(2) Skill in reviewing medical record documentation and assigning current versions of the classification systems required in the current position, such as ICD and CPT; and
(3) Advanced knowledge of the full scope of coding and abstracting including inpatient discharges, surgical cases, diagnostic studies and procedures, outpatient encounters, and inpatient professional fees for a highly diversified range of specialties and subspecialties, such as orthopedics, neurosurgery, cardiology, gastroenterology, plastic surgery, spinal cord injury, blind rehabilitation, anesthesia, acute and long term psychiatry including addiction treatment, hospice, ambulatory surgery, and other types of care.
In addition to the above, you must also demonstrate the potential to acquire the following KSAs:
(1) Ability to work with a team to provide technical guidance, plan, organize, and coordinate activities of a medical record function in order to effectively complete job duties of assignment such as distributing workload, monitoring the status and progress of work, monitoring accuracy of work, approving leave, etc.;
(2) Comprehensive knowledge of medical record technology theories, methods, procedures, and techniques for assigned areas; and
(3) Ability to communicate tactfully and effectively, both orally and in writing, in order to meet program objectives. This may include preparing reports in various formats and presenting data to various organizational levels.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.