Basic Qualifications for AD-0602 (Medical Officer): Applicants must possess a Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the United States or Canada approved by a recognized accrediting body in the year of the applicant's graduation. A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school that provided education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States may be demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) (or a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed premedical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country).
Since this position has a specific education requirement, all applicants must verify completion of this basic education requirement by providing an original, official college transcript before appointment or you may submit a copy of your current medical license to verify completion of the basic education requirement. We will be unable to return these documents to you.
Candidates must show clear evidence of specialized experience. Specialized experience is that which is directly related to the position and which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position, such as experience in leading and directing the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programs and projects in surveillance, epidemiology or laboratory services. Typically, experience of this nature is gained at or above the GS-15 grade level in the Federal service, or its equivalent with state or local government, the private sector or nongovernmental organizations.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/.
Additional Qualification Requirements: In addition to meeting the basic qualification requirements, applicants must have acquired five years of residency training in the specialty of the position to be filled or equivalent experience and training.
NOTE: A residency program involves training in a specialized field of medicine in an institution accredited for training in the specialty by a recognized body of the American Medical Association (AMA) or AOA.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention inspires public confidence in its trust responsibilities and mission by maintaining high ethical principles. This position is subject to the public financial disclosure requirements of the Ethics in Government Act of 1978 (P.L. 95-521). Therefore, if selected, you will be required to complete a Public Financial Disclosure Report (OGE-From 278) to determine if a conflict or an appearance of a conflict exists between your financial interests and your prospective position with the agency. This information will be required annually.
All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, disabling condition, membership in an employee organization, or any other non-merit factors.
All initial appointments to a Distinguished Consultant position are contingent on approval from Title 42/SES Executive Group or SBRS/Title 42 group.
In accordance with Federal and Agency Travel regulations, the payment of travel and relocation expenses may be reimbursed for travel, transportation and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty to this position.
As a condition of employment, all male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must have registered for the selective service. If selected for this position, the applicant must sign a statement certifying his registration, or the applicant must demonstrate exempt status under the Selective Service Law.
Only experience obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Applicants must meet the qualification requirements as outlined above to be eligible for further consideration. You must provide detailed evidence of the experience, knowledge, skill, ability, and other personal characteristic requirements and show how and when they were used. This evidence must include clear, concise examples that show level of accomplishment and degree of responsibility. Qualification determinations will be based on the information provided in your application and the requirements of the position. Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies ( Knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics): You must respond to each competency listed below. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
1. Strong leadership experience in creating a vision and setting direction for large organizations, such as scientific, public health, academic or non-governmental organizations. Inherent is the ability to lead organizational change, leverage divergent positions or organizations in a manner which contributes to organizational effectiveness, and/or align or realign organizational resources for improved impact.
2. Leadership experience in directing and managing a health research organization, including establishing strategic plans and policies, developing and presenting budgets, evaluating program accomplishments, and building and maintaining a diverse staff.
3. High degree of prominence and expertise in public health or other health field such that the individual can readily command the respect of the national and international communities.
4. Experience in developing and implementing national or international policies and research related to the field of scientific health surveillance, epidemiology, statistics, informatics, laboratory science or a similar field.
5. Experience that indicates the ability to deal effectively with high-level government officials, national and international organizations, non-governmental groups, media, and the general public.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required. Yes
6. One-year probationary period may be required. No
7. Moving expenses may be authorized. Yes
8. Bargaining Unit Position: No
9. Drug Screening Required: Yes
10. Recruitment or Relocation expenses may be authorized: Yes
11. Immunization required: Yes