For all positions individuals must have Information Technology (IT) related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below.
- Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
Undergraduate or Graduate Education: Degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
- You qualify for the GS-09 level (starting salary $54,032) if you possess one year of specialized experience at the GS-07 level performing duties such as: applying IT principles, methods, and tools sufficient to support the development of Standard Operation Procedures (SOP’s) and other security related tasks; participating with reporting, monitoring, and maintaining efforts in regards to the Intrusion Detection/Prevention Systems; supporting the monitoring efforts of public and private information resources and reports vulnerabilities or responds to low-level security issues; and providing general input and participation regarding the development or maintenance of end-user focused documentation in support of information security products with which users interface OR
- A master's degree or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or equivalent graduate degree
- You qualify for the GS-11 level (starting salary $62,467) if you possess one year of specialized experience at the GS-09 level performing duties such as: configuring, maintaining, and evaluating the Intrusion Detection/Prevention Systems sufficient to communicate potential vulnerabilities or weaknesses in system security and performance; monitoring IT network for security breaches and use established procedures and practices to protect information assets from intrusions; working alongside system administrators, Information System Security Officers (ISSO), and contractors providing guidance in planning and implementing security initiatives such as communicating the availability of security patches for IT systems; and providing guidance and recommendations to managers regarding IT security risks associated with viruses, hackers, and other breaches. OR
- Ph.D or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D or equivalent doctoral degree
Qualifications Must Be Met The qualification requirements listed above must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
Conditions of Employment If selected for this position, you will be required to:
- Obtain and maintain a top secret clearance. Completion of a full field investigation is required before appointment.
- Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position.
- Certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so, if you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959.
- Submit to a polygraph examination prior to your appointment.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
This announcement is being filled using the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) direct-hire authority. Agencies may appoint candidates directly to jobs, without regard to the provisions of Title 5 U.S.C.3309 through 3318. Applicants who meet the basic requirement for the position will be referred to the selecting official for further consideration. Veterans’ preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to this announcement. The competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job are:
- Knowledge of network and host based security tools, techniques, processes, procedures, and requirements including, but not limited to firewall, Intrusion Detection/Prevention Systems, anti-virus and application level filtering technologies.
- Skill in analyzing, formulating, and recommending security tools, policies, procedures, and processes across numerous IT areas to include, but not limited to, virtual private networks (VPNs), storage area networks (SANs), databases, Operating Systems, converged network technologies and directory based systems.
- Knowledge of information systems security requirements, security countermeasures, risk management, automated security tools, contingency planning, and disaster recovery.
Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) Eligibles: If you have never worked for the Federal government, you are not CTAP/ICTAP eligible. Information about ICTAP or CTAP eligibility can be found by clicking here to access OPM's Career Transition Resources website. To be considered well qualified under CTAP/ ICTAP, you must be rated at a minimum score of 85.0 for this position. In addition, you must submit the supporting documents listed under the required documents section of this announcement.
Veterans: Certain veterans are eligible to apply as a status candidate under the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA). For more information, click here.
Military Spouse Appointing Authority: Executive Order 13473, dated September 28, 2008, authorized the noncompetitive appointment of certain military spouses to competitive service positions. The U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) codified implementing regulations at 5 CFR 315.612, effective September 11, 2009. For more information click here.
Consideration will be given to performance appraisals and incentive awards as an indicator of quality of prior experience, no points will be assigned. To preview questions please click here.