A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
- One year of experience performing duties in biological science related to bioenergy, including research in the growth of plant feed stocks, deconstruction, and biological conversion to renewable bio-fuels.
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do NOT provide a separate narrative written response. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below.
- Knowledge of the current state of a broad range of plant and microbial systems biology.
- Knowledge and familiarity of the current state of plant and microbial genomics, biochemistry, plant physiology, microbial physiology, bioinformatics and computational biology, biotechnology, synthetic biology, structural biology, and chemical and metabolic engineering.
- Knowledge and ability to plan, direct, and evaluate new and highly complex basic research programs and projects.
- Knowledge and ability to plan, budget, justify, and allocate funds among a variety of competing programs and requirements.
- Ability to organize and direct diverse groups in the solving of highly complex scientific problems.
- Ability to give acceptance and support to research findings, conclusions, recommendations and decisions for program execution.
- Knowledge and skill to represent the program area and DOE on high visibility committees and planning activities.
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
You must have a degree: biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position OR
A combination of education and experience--Courses equivalent to a major, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
You must provide documentation supporting your education claims. Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Foreign education must be reviewed by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education and a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, see the Department of Education website.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT FOR THIS VACANCY: A preliminary background check must be initiated before you can begin work with the U.S. Department of Energy. Current Federal employees or other individuals with an existing completed background investigation may not be required to undergo another background check; these will be handled on a case-by-case basis in coordination with the Security Office.
Failure to receive a favorable background investigation will result in termination from employment.
This position requires a security clearance and is subject to drug testing. If selected, you must test negative prior to being appointed to this position and will be subject to random testing thereafter. Failure to pass subsequent tests could result in disciplinary action, up to and including removal from the Federal service.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be rated by our application system using the Category Rating procedure. A quality review will then be conducted by the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME). Your application is rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education (if applicable to the job), and training described in your online résumé/questionnaire as related to the duties of this position. The quality categories are usually defined as "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified" and "Qualified". Within each category, veteran preference eligibles will be listed at the top of the category. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and below.
If your résumé is incomplete or does not support the responses in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation BEFORE the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted. To preview questions please click here.