GS-09: You qualify at the GS-09 grade level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience at the GS-07 level performing duties such as:
- Gathering facts, observing and evaluating concepts and techniques to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of processes, procedures, laws, policies and regulations;
- Preparing and processing documented material in response to Congressional Inquiries or other external stakeholders;
- Skilled in applying basic principles, concepts and methodology of a professional or administrative occupation to carry out assignments, operations or procedures;
- Meeting planning needs and requirements using interpersonal and administrative skills; and
- Accomplishing mission requirements in a specific period of time.
GS-9: You may substitute a Master's degree or 2 full years of graduate education in a qualifying field or a J.D. or L.L.B. degree for experience required at the GS-9 grade level. This education must have been obtained from an accredited college or university and demonstrate the skills necessary to do the work of the position. (A course of study in business administration, public administration, and related fields is qualifying.) Check with your school or university to determine how many credit hours comprise two years of graduate education. If that information is not available, use 36 semester or 54 quarter hours.
GS-11: You qualify at the GS-11 grade level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience at the GS-09 level performing duties such as:
- Gathering facts, observing and evaluating concepts and techniques sufficient to develop, implement and measure efficiency and effectiveness of laws, policies and regulations;
- Organizing systematic, professional efforts to meet planning needs and requirements utilizing interpersonal and administrative skills;
- Writing briefings, issue papers, or reports making recommendations on policies, projects or studies;
- Preparing proposed responses to Congressional inquiries, Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests, and external correspondence requests; and
- Tracking and managing incoming correspondence, controlling the proper action and distributing as appropriate, ensuring technical responses out-going correspondence are properly staffed for signature before forwarding.
GS-11: You may substitute a doctoral degree or three full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to such a degree in a qualifying field for experience at the GS-11 grade level. This education must have been obtained from an accredited college or university and demonstrate the skills necessary to do the work of the position. (A course of study in business administration, public administration, and related fields is qualifying.) Check with your school to determine how many credit hours comprise three years of graduate study. If that information is not available, use 54 semester or 81 quarters hours.
Combining Education and Experience: Appropriate combinations of successfully completed education and experience also may be used to meet the total qualification requirements for the GS- 9 and 11 grade levels.
GS-12: You qualify at the GS-12 grade level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience at the GS-11 level performing duties such as:
- Developing and implementing a tracking system to produce performance measures for correspondence control, receiving and controlling incoming correspondence, determining proper action, distributing as appropriate, ensuring technical responses out-going correspondence are properly staffed for signature before forwarding;
- Utilizing fact-finding techniques, administrative regulations and operating procedures to gather clear cut factual evidence of administrative waste and abuse, or compliance with regulation;
- Managing the processing and clearance of Freedom of Information requests, managing and conveying sensitive information and exercising tact;
- Understanding program objectives goals and objectives to evaluate a programs accomplishments; and
- Producing written and/or oral reports on analysis and research of data.
Qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Qualification claims will be subject to verification.
Requirements by Closing Date: Unless otherwise noted, you must meet all requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
Probationary Period: This is a full-time permanent position (Career/Career-Conditional appointment). Upon appointment to this position, you may be required to serve a one-year probationary period.
Proof of Education: If basing your qualifications on education, you must submit transcripts or list of college courses, with credit hours, major(s) and grade point average or class ranking. (Prior to appointment, an official college transcript will be required.) This education must be from an institution accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your experience, education and training will be rated using an Assessment Questionnaire. The questions are related to the following fundamental competencies (or Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities) needed to perform the duties of this job: Arithmetic, Attention to Detail, Customer Service, Decision Making, Information Management, Teamwork and Writing
Based on your responses, you will be placed in one of the following categories:
- Best Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
- Well Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
- Qualified: Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Applicants in the best qualified category will be referred to the hiring manager and may be called for an interview.
ICTAP/CTAP Eligibles: If you have never worked for the federal government, you are not ICTAP/CTAP eligible. Information about ICTAP or CTAP eligibility is on the OPM's Career Transition Resources website at http://www.opm.gov/ctap/index.asp. To be considered well qualified under ICTAP/CTAP you must be placed in the well qualified category for this position as described above.
Veterans: Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they are qualified. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are placed in the best qualified category above non-preference eligibles, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher. This position is NOT considered scientific/professional. For more information regarding veterans' preference, please see: http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.