MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: All applicants must meet the qualification requirements outlined below to be considered minimally qualified for this position. The qualification requirements are in accordance with the OPM Qualification Standards. ALL QUALIFICATIONS MUST BE MET BY THE CLOSING DATE OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: All Librarians must meet the requirements for professional education in library science or possess equivalent experience and education. Applicants must meet the requirements specified in paragraphs A or B below.
A. Completion of 1 full academic year of graduate study in library science in an accredited college or university, in addition to completion of all work required for a bachelor's degree;
B. A total of at least 5 years of a combination of college-level education, training, and experience. To qualify on this basis, the applicant must establish conclusively that the education, training, and experience provided a knowledge and understanding of the theories, principles, and techniques of professional librarianship; a knowledge of literature resources; and the knowledge and abilities essential for providing effective library and information services.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Applicants must have a minimum of one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility comparable to the next lower grade or comparable pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private sector. Examples of specialized experience are:
For the GS-14: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-13 grade level or comparable pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private sector performing the following: experience with the theories, objectives, principles and techniques of professional librarianship; administration, management, or direction of library programs; experience managing a complex library with specialized collections that responds to the information needs of a large and diverse clientele; experience in developing, managing and evaluating integrated library systems; experience with federal acquisitions and the procurement process to manage complex government contracts.
Please see "Qualifications Required" for requirements of the position.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
How You Will Be Evaluated: Your resume will be evaluated to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications required for the position. Applicants who meet the minimum requirements will be placed into one of the following categories based on the extent to which your application shows that you possess the specialized experience associated with this position:
- Best Qualified (BQ) Meets the Minimum Qualification Requirements and demonstrates exceptional experience in most of the requirements of the position.
- Well Qualified (WQ) Meets the Minimum Qualification Requirements and demonstrates strong experience in most of the requirements of the position.
- Qualified (Q) - Meets the Minimum Qualification Requirements and meets the requirements of the position either through experience or education.
QUALITY RANKING FACTORS: Address the following Quality Ranking Factors (QRFs)/Critical Elements within the body of your resume.
- Expert knowledge of collection development, electronic library resources, and library applied information technology.
- Demonstrated strong skills in developing and carrying out administrative activities of a library in order to manage the budgets, programs, direct and lead library staff members.
- Ability to plan, develop and manage administrative activities of a library system concerned with a variety of public policy issues.
SUPERVISORY COMPETENCIES: Applicants should demonstrate proficiency or the potential to develop proficiency in the following competencies:
- Accountability - Holds self and others accountable of measurable high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results. Determines objectives, sets priorities and delegates work. Accepts responsibility for mistakes. Complies with established control systems and rules.
- Flexibility - Is open to change and new information; rapidly adapts to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles.
- Integrity/Honesty - Behaves in an honest, fair, and ethical manner. Shows consistency in words and actions. Models high standards of ethics.
- Interpersonal Skills - Treats others with courtesy, sensitivity, and respect. Considers and responds appropriately to the needs and feelings of different people in different situations.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and analyzes problems; weighs relevance and accuracy of information; generates and evaluates alternative solutions; makes recommendations.
- Resilience - Deals effectively with pressure; remains optimistic and persistent, even under adversity. Recovers quickly from setbacks.