To be qualified, applicants must possess the Executive Core Qualifications for the Senior Executive Service and the Professional/Technical Qualifications required for the position.
MANDATORY EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS (ECQs):
The applicant must file a separate narrative response for each ECQ. In responding to each ECQ statement, please structure your responses in terms of a specific problem or goal (CHALLENGE); the environment in which you worked to tackle the problem or goal (CONTEXT); the specific actions taken (ACTION); and the outcome from such actions (RESULTS). Please provide at least two (2) examples for each area, where practical. The total response to all ECQs MUST NOT EXCEED 10 PAGES. For additional information on ECQs beyond the information provided in this document, go to website http://www.opm.gov/ses/recruitment/ecq.
ECQ 1. Leading Change: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment. Competencies: Creativity & Innovation, External Awareness, Flexibility, Resilience, Strategic Thinking, Vision.
ECQ 2. Leading People: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organizations vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. Competencies: Conflict Management, Leveraging Diversity, Developing Others, Team Building.
ECQ 3. Results Driven: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. Competencies: Accountability, Customer Service, Decisiveness, Entrepreneurship, Problem Solving, Technical Credibility.
ECQ 4. Business Acumen: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
Competencies: Financial Management, Human Capital Management, Technology Management.
ECQ 5. Building Coalitions: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, or international organizations to achieve common goals. Competencies: Partnering, Political Savvy, Influencing/Negotiating.
PROFESSIONAL/TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS (PTQs)
The applicant must file a separate narrative response for each PTQ and must cite examples in support of their response.
- Graduation from an American Bar Association accredited law school and current possession of an active bar membership in good standing which permits the practice of law in the United States.
- Experience in a senior legal position in an organization with demonstrated proficiency in analyzing complex and novel legal problems and formulating solutions by application of sound and thorough legal analysis.
- Expert research and writing skills to ensure that written opinions have sound precedent value and can withstand scrutiny by opposing interests.
- Demonstrated ability to think broadly and strategically, including the ability to translate long term goals and objectives into short term tactical plans and operational activities.
- Knowledge of comprehensive and relevant Federal laws and court decisions, Comptroller General Decisions, and similar policies and procedures related to a broad range of administrative functions such as contracting, personnel, security, as well as radio, television and digital media communications.
- Broad knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of journalism and mass communications.
- Demonstrated ability to provide legal advice and opinions at the executive level, including experience in conveying complex legal information in an easily understood way to a Board of Directors whose knowledge base of the subject in questions may be limited in scope.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the mission, function, goals, organizational structure, and operations of the Broadcasting Board of Governors and its entities.
- Persons newly selected for appointment to an SES position must have their managerial qualifications approved by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM).
- Selectee will serve a one-year probationary period.
- The selectee will be required to complete an Executive Personnel Financial Disclosure Report in accordance with the Ethics in Government Act of 1978.
- As a condition of employment, male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must certify that they have registered with the Selective Service System. or are exempt from having to do so under Selective Service law.
Drug Test: A pre-employment drug test is required for a non-BBG applicant selected for this position. Appointment is contingent upon a negative drug test.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
The Office of Human Resources will do a preliminary qualifications screening. The applications determined to be qualified will be reviewed by the Executive Resources Board and the best qualified candidates will be forwarded to the selecting official. The executive qualifications of the selected candidate must be approved by the Qualifications Review Board at the Office of Personnel Management.