As a basic requirement for entry into the Senior Executive Service (SES), you must provide evidence of progressively responsible leadership experience that is indicative of senior executive level management capability; and that is directly related to the skills and abilities outlined under the Technical Qualifications (TQs) and Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) listed below.
TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS(TQs): Below are descriptions of the technical qualifications that you will be presented with once you have applied to this announcement. You must clearly demonstrate in your responses how your experience supports each of the TQs.
- In depth executive management and a history of demonstrated success leading a legal office overseeing an extensive regulatory practice. This includes experience in governmental entities, private law firms, corporations, trade associations and/or academia and includes the ability to work collaboratively across organizational lines, produce results on-time and within budget.
- Demonstrated experience in executive level communications including negotiating and persuading to gain consensus under difficult, complex circumstances. This includes the ability to work with a wide variety of people, effectively communicate progress on a regular basis, and gain buy-in at cross-organizational levels towards a common goal.
- Demonstrated ability to build trust and inspire confidence in both internal high level officials and people in your organization in the overall management of major organizational programs. Demonstrated ability to maintain a strong esprit de corps, produce results, and meet mission requirements while simultaneously balancing needs of customers and key internal and external stakeholders. Demonstrated ability to apply strategic vision, entrepreneurial leadership, flexibility, resilience and political savvy in dealing with sensitive, complex issues, including internal organizational changes to meet senior leadership objectives.
EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS (ECQs): Below are descriptions of the ECQs that you will be presented with once you have applied to this announcement.
- Please Note: Current career SES members, former career SES members with reinstatement eligibility, and SES Candidate Development graduates who have been certified by OPM do NOT need to address the ECQs.
ECQ 1 - LEADING CHANGE: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment. Leadership Competencies: Creativity and Innovation, External Awareness, Flexibility, Resilience, Strategic Thinking, Vision
ECQ 2 - LEADING PEOPLE: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. Leadership Competencies: Conflict Management, Leveraging Diversity, Developing Others, Team Building
ECQ 3 - RESULTS DRIVEN: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. Leadership Competencies: Accountability, Customer, Decisiveness, Entrepreneurship, Problem Solving, Technical Credibility
ECQ 4 - BUSINESS ACUMEN: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. Leadership Competencies: Financial Management, Human Capital Management, Technology Management
ECQ 5 - BUILDING COALITIONS: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. Leadership Competencies: Partnering, Political Savvy, Influencing/Negotiating
FUNDAMENTAL COMPETENCIES: The following competencies are the foundation for success in each of the Executive Core Qualifications: Interpersonal Skills, Oral Communication, Written Communication, Integrity/Honesty, Continual
Learning, Public Service Motivation Additional information about the SES and Executive Core Qualifications can be found on the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) SES Website.
You are strongly encouraged to review OPMs Guide to SES Qualifications for specific examples and guidance on writing effective ECQ narrative statements.
Please Note: All applicants must have graduated from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association, must possess a J.D. or LL.B. degree (law degree), and must be a member in good standing of a state, territory of the United States, District of Columbia, or Commonwealth of Puerto Rico bar.
- Experience conducting and interpreting economic analysis and risk assessment associated with an extensive regulatory practice.
- Experience in managing Presidential Management Agenda initiatives such as human capital and electronic Government.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: If selected for this position, you will be required to:
- Complete a Confidential Financial Disclosure report, OGE-278. You will need to provide the information annually.
- Complete a one-year SES probationary period (unless already completed).
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your resume and responses to the ECQs and TQs are an integral part of the process for determining your basic and specialized qualifications for the position. Responses to the qualification statements that are not supported by your resume and/or supporting documentation may eliminate you from highly or well-qualified status and/or result in non-referral. An SES rating and ranking panel will evaluate your application based on the quality and extent of your total accomplishments, experience, and education. Applicants determined to be highly qualified may undergo an interview and a reference check. If selected, your ECQs must be certified by an Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualifications Review Board (QRB), unless you are a current SES executive or have successfully participated in an OPM approved SES Candidate Development Program. You must receive certification before you can be appointed to the position. We recommend you preview the questions for this announcement before you start the application process. To preview questions please click here.