Job Title:Student Trainee (Financial Management) Pathways Internship
Department:Department of Defense
Agency:Defense Finance and Accounting Service
Job Announcement Number:ML-845269-13
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Hour|
|Wednesday, March 06, 2013 to
Monday, March 11, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
Internships NTE 1 Year|
|15 vacancies in the following location:|
Rome, NY United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Student/Internship Program Eligibles |
**This Job Opportunity Announcement is using an additional online assessment tool to evaluate applicants. Please review the HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED, HOW TO APPLY and WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT sections below for instructions.
DFAS' mission is to lead the DoD in finance and accounting by ensuring the delivery of efficient, exceptional quality pay and financial information. We take pride in serving the men and women who defend America. DFAS is seeking goal-oriented people who like a challenge and care about serving our country. We offer rewarding careers in finance, accounting, information systems, contracting services, human resources, clerical work and many other areas. For more information, visit www.dfas.mil
Are you looking for a unique internship opportunity? This position is part of DFAS's Pathways Internship Program, which is designed for current students and individuals accepted for enrollment in a qualifying educational program. As a paid intern, you will be given the opportunity to gain the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to pursue a successful career with DFAS and to explore numerous possibilities for growth, learning and valuable work experience.
Who may be considered:
To be eligible for the DFAS internship Program, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- Applicants must be currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment and seeking a degree (e.g. associate's degree, bachelor's degree, master's degree, advanced degree, etc.) in a qualifying educational institution on a full time or half-time basis.
- Students must be in good academic standing (no less than 2.5 cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) on a 4.0 grading scale).
- U.S. Citizen or U.S. National
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
- Background Investigation
- Registered for Selective Service (males born after 12-31-59)
- Suitable for federal employment
- MUST submit a transcript or proof of enrollment
- Enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a degree program
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
One year of generalized experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required.
General experience is defined as: progressively responsible clerical, office, or other work that indicates ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position to be filled.
GS-04 Substitution of Education for Experience: Two years of successfully completed education above the high school level in any field for which high school graduation, or the equivalent, is a prerequisite may be substituted to meet the general experience required. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed post-high school education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements. If you are using education to substitute for the specialized experience, you must submit transcripts at the time you apply. To be creditable, education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university. You must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions that are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html).
All degrees will be accepted, but the following are preferred degree categories:
-- Masters of Business Administration
-- Masters of Accountancy
-- Public Administration (Public Finance Concentration)
- U.S. Citizen or U.S. National with the ability to furnish proof of citizenship upon agency request.
- Enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a degree program in a qualifying educational institution.
- Educational enrollment MUST be on a half-time or full-time basis. Half-time basis is defined by the academic institution that the student is enrolled or accepted into.
- Applicants MUST submit a transcript or proof of enrollment with the online application package.
- If selected, must sign a Pathways Participant Agreement; be able to furnish course registration information at the start of each school term; and be able to provide verification of academic status (official transcript) at the end of each academic term.
- Background or Security Investigation: This is a non-critical sensitive position. Employment in this position requires a background investigation which may delay your starting date. If you are selected and cannot obtain a favorable security determination within a reasonable period of time due to disclosed or undisclosed background issues, the employment offer may be withdrawn. Individuals selected for this position are required to obtain and maintain a favorable security determination to occupy a sensitive position within the agency as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain eligibility to occupy a sensitive position may result in termination. For more information see the security section of Understanding Vacancy Announcements.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
1. Qualified Category: Meets the minimum qualifications and demonstrates minimum experience and/or training only based on responses to required assessments.
2. Highly Qualified Category: Meets the minimum qualification requirements and demonstrates full-performance level experience based on responses to required assessments.
3. Best Qualified Category: Meets the minimum qualification requirements and demonstrates experience as an expert in the field or recognized as a senior specialist, team lead, etc.
Please Note: Before attempting to take the assessments, applicants should view sample items to determine if the computer they are using is likely to experience any issues during testing. The sample items can be found at https://www.usajobsassess.gov/assess/default/sample/Sample.action. If you have questions about the computer requirements or require technical assistance, please contact HelpDesk@USAJOBSAssess.gov.
Reasonable Accommodation: These sample items may also help you to decide whether to request a Reasonable Accommodation for taking the assessments because of a disability (physical or mental) covered by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, and Americans with Disabilities Act 1990, as amended. If you believe you have a disability that would interfere with completing the online assessments, click here for more information about the assessments and the request process: http://www.usajobs.gov/content/pdfs/AssessReasonableAccommodation.pdf.
Requests for reasonable accommodations for the online assessments must be received before the Job Opportunity Announcement closes to be considered for this job opening. Decisions on requests for Reasonable Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis. After notification of the adjudication of your request, you will receive an email invitation and have 48 hours from the time the invitation is sent to complete the assessments.
Application of Veterans Preference: The Category Rating Method does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three," but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Qualified) provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied.