Job Title:Research Anthropologist (Physical Anthropology)
Job Announcement Number:13A-JW-298238-DEU-NMNH
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, February 22, 2013 to
Thursday, March 21, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full-Time, TERM Not-To-Exceed 4 years -
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Washington, DC, USView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|This position is open to all U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals.|
This position is located in the Department of Anthropology, National Museum of Natural History (NMNH). The purpose of this position is to perform scientific research and professional curation in Anthropology in the general field of physical anthropology and human skeletal biology.
**The salary range listed above reflects the Museum's authorized salary range for this position.**
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- May need to complete a Probationary Period
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
All applicants must meet the following basic requirement.
Applicants must have successfully completed a full 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's or higher degree that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in anthropology, history, biology, physical science, geology, human geography, or other closely related fields that primarily concern human adaptation to the environment or evolutionary development.
In addition to meeting Basic Requirement above, applicants must meet the following:
Specialized Experience: One year of full-time experience at the GS-11 level that is close or similar to the work of this job. The experience includes activities such as performing research in physical anthropology and human skeletal biology. Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week. Or Education: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree related to the position. For a full explanation of this option please see the Qualification Standards. Special Instructions for Foreign Education: If you are qualifying by education and/or you have education completed in a foreign college/university described above, it is your responsibility to provide transcripts and proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study by the closing date of the announcement. For instructions on where to fax these documents, see the "Required Documents" section of this announcement.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
- School transcripts (undergraduate and graduate) must be provided by the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
- If you have foreign education, you must show proof by the closing date of the vacancy announcement that education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign educational credentials. Transcripts and proof of the evaluations should be submitted in your application package as indicated under “Required Documents”. Applicants may use the following websites http://www.naces.org/, http://www.fceatlanta.com/, or www.ies.aacrao.org to obtain these evaluations.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your resume will be used to evaluate your experience, education, and/or training that address the competencies below:
- Ability to conduct original, field and collections-based scientific research in Anthropology in the general field of physical anthropology, with an emphasis on human skeletal biology, including study of skeletal remains in archeological contexts, paleoanthropology, morphology, and evolution as evidenced, for example, by peer-reviewed publications, oral presentations and/or seminars.
- Ability to perform public outreach (for example, communicating orally or otherwise to non-scientific audiences).
- Ability to provide professional service (for example, service as a reviewer and/or editor of a peer-reviewed journal), and/or service in a leadership role of a professional society or organization), and mentoring.
- Knowledge of collections-based research and curation practices and procedures for collections in specialty area.
- Skill in securing external funding (list grants, amounts and funding periods).
Applicants who meet or exceed minimum qualifications will be assigned to one of three category groups based on job-related criteria: Best Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and excels in most of the job related competencies above. Better Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and satisfies most of the job related competencies above. Good Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements, but does not satisfy most of the job related competencies above to a substantive degree. This category rating process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three", but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Category) provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied. Preference eligibles who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher. Applicants who have not submitted a resume in the USAjobs system and/or have not answered all of the vacancy questions will not be considered for this position. Important Note: The review of your resume will determine your final rating and should provide sufficient information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed.
Applicants assigned to the Best Category, who are referred to the selecting official, may be asked to provide additional materials to include CV’s, reference letters and research statements. To preview questions please click here.