Basic Requirements: Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in professional engineering. To be acceptable: The curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d)thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics. OR Combination of education and experience -- college level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. For more information in regard to the adequacy of acceptable experience, refer to the GS Qualification standards operating manual found at www.opm.gov, choose site index, choose "Q" and find the manual. In addition to the above requirements, applicants must meet the following qualification requirements.
For GS-12 level - one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 level in the Federal service is required.
Specialized experience is defined as non-routine engineering work that required and was characterized by (1) professional knowledge of engineering; (2) professional ability to apply such knowledge to engineering problems; and (3) positive and continuing development of professional knowledge and ability. Specialized experience is further defined as direct experience in providing the engineering support needed to plan and execute facilities-type projects. This experience must also involve project management experience such as preparation and coordination of scopes of work, schedules, and budgets.
ADDITIONAL PROJECT MANAGEMENT REQUIREMENTS: All applicants must:
1. Hold a "FAC-P/PM Entry Level" (or higher) credential (per the DOI FAC-P/PM Program Policy Guide dated August 2009) -OR-
2. Hold an active "Project Management Professional" credential (from the Project Management Institute) -OR-
3. Be a registered Professional Engineer (Mechanical, Electrical, or Civil) AND possess the following project management experience: a) Experience in leading and directing projects under general supervision within the constraints of schedule, budget and scope. The experience must indicate you can manage projects that have reasonably well-defined project requirements and deliverables. b) A minimum of 4500 hours of project management experience that: a. Dates back at least three years from application submittal date. b. Does not date back further than eight years from the application submittal date. c. Occurred over a minimum of 36 months (gaps in experience and overlapping experience will not be counted). d. Includes experience in each of the following process areas when all projects are totaled, but not on each project: i. Initiating ii. Planning iii. Executing iv. Monitoring and Controlling v. Closing
YOU MUST SUBMIT COPIES OF YOUR TRANSCRIPTS (UNOFFICIAL COPIES ARE OK) TO VERIFY EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS BY THE CLOSING DATE OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT. This position has a mandatory education requirement; you must furnish a copy of your transcript of college work completed (unofficial copy is acceptable). Transcripts must include the name of the college or university and date the degree was conferred. Non-submission will result in you being rated not qualified for the position.
Foreign Education: To receive credit for education completed outside the United States, applicants must show proof that the education has been submitted to a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign educational credentials and such education has been deemed at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education programs.
You must meet all qualification requirements, including any selective factors, by the closing date of the announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Category rating and selection procedures will be used to evaluate applications from this announcement. If you meet the basic qualification requirements, your on-line responses to the vacancy assessment questionnaire will be used to determine the quality and extent of your experience, education, training, etc., for placement in one of the following categories: 1) Best Qualified, 2) Well Qualified, and 3) Qualified. Qualified candidates will be assigned a numerical score on a scale of 70-100 and veterans with preference will be placed at the top of their respective category. The assessment questionnaire will take you approximately 45 minutes to complete. Applicants will be further evaluated on the following "Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)" through your resume and responses to the online questions.
1. Knowledge of the theories, principles, practices, and techniques used in engineering to design features associated with hydroelectric systems and associated equipment.
2. Ability to monitor and execute schedules; identify resource constraints; and provide technical assistance for multiple engineering, procurement, and construction contracts.
3. Skill in following project management processes to execute complex projects and program work.
4. Skill in team leadership and conflict resolution processes involving engineers, planners, construction inspectors, contractors, contracting officers and others.
Applicant's answers to questions will be verified against information provided in their online resume. Be sure that the resume clearly supports the responses to all the questions by addressing experience, education, and/or training relevant to this position. Applicants must make a fair and accurate assessment of their qualifications. Applicants who exaggerate or falsify their experience and/or education may be removed from employment consideration. To preview questions please click here.