Job Title:Information Technology Specialist (Application Software)
Department:Department Of Agriculture
Agency:Agricultural Marketing Service
Job Announcement Number:24FV-2013-0021
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, February 15, 2013 to
Friday, March 01, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|1 vacancy -
Washington, DC, USView Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
This announcement is open to all United States citizens. (Current and Former Federal employees may also apply with a separate application to Merit Promotion vacancy announcement #6FV-2013-0048. For information on viewing Merit Promotion announcements, click Locating a Status Position on USAJOBS.)
Relocation expenses will not be paid. The USDA, Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS), Fruit and Vegetable Programs (FV), Processed Products Branch (PPB) requires an information technology (IT) specialist to facilitate the delivery of effective and value-added services of PPB and Fresh Products Branch (FPB) operations. PPB maintains a staff of IT specialists who provide support for PPB/FPB hardware and software, develop and implement software applications to improve business processes, and plan and execute policies and procedures to ensure that PPB and FPB are positioned to leverage current and future IT developments.
PPB also works closely and shares resources with other groups in FV.
You can make a difference! The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Marketing and Regulatory Programs (MRP) needs bright, energetic and committed professionals to facilitate the domestic and international marketing of U.S. agricultural products and to protect the health and care of animals and plants in the United States. MRP offers an array of occupations and is committed to diversity in the workplace. We operate in domestic and global markets. Be part of an organization that protects the health and agriculture of the American people. Join our team!
DUTIES:Back to top
The duties described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence and limited complexity. The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Serves as a programmer and IT Specialist responsible for developing, enhancing, and maintaining web-based applications, information systems, and databases for FV under the FV, PPB organization.
- Possesses strong knowledge and hands-on usage of Visual Basic (VB) .NET for both the desktop and Active Server Page (ASP) .NET applications.
- Uses interface design techniques, local data storage, and transmission of local data to central repository.
- Plans and organizes support functions that focus on working within the .NET environment to meet FV programming needs.
- Provides senior level customer service support on programming/analyst issues, serving as both consultant and advocate for FV IT users.
- Analyzes and refines system requirements; translates requirements into application prototypes; plans and designs system architecture; and defines, analyzes, writes, tests, and debugs source codes for FV IT systems.
- Assists the Agency's IT group in the development and implementation of internet security in all applications developed or enhanced, requiring research and implementation of security policies.
- Writes and maintains all aspects of software application documentation, including but not limited to, description of source codes, system architecture, user manual(s), security plan(s) including back-up protocols, and contingency plans.
- Reviews new emerging technologies relating to AMS programming environment and evaluates such technologies for potential use in FV.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To qualify, you MUST meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
Applicants can qualify by meeting the experience requirements specified below.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-12/13 GRADE LEVELS
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to the next lower level in the Federal Service. This experience may have been obtained in the private or public (local, county, state, Federal) sectors. Examples of qualifying experience include, but are not limited to:
- Experience in the computer language Microsoft Visual Basic Dot Net to design and develop efficient applications that meet technical and functional requirements.
- Experience conducting requirements analyses to assess the functionality of systems.
- Experience diagnosing systems problems and developing efficient and effective solutions.
- Experience deploying and debugging applications.
- Written communication skills to include the ability to develop documentation.
In addition, all applicants qualifying based on experience must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below. Applicants must demonstrate possession of these competencies within the body of the resume; no separate statements addressing them are required.
- Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- DD214 (Member 4 copy) or other veterans' documents required to receive veterans' preference.
- As a condition of employment, a background investigation may be required for this position.
- Subject to satisfactory completion of one-year probationary period.
- Occasional out-of-town travel may be required.
- Work includes some bending and carrying of moderately heavy items.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
To preview questions please click here.
- Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. Your resume must support that you meet the specialized experience requirements described above and are proficient in the following skills or competencies below. Please note you are not required to provide specific narrative responses to the skills and competencies described in this section.
- Communication Skills
- Organization Skills and Teamwork
- Staff Leadership, Program and Project Management
- Technical Specialty – Applications Software
- Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. The following quality categories will be used: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. Within each quality category, veterans' preference eligibles will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
- Your final category placement will be based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire. Please ensure your resume provides enough detail to support your responses.
- If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you.