To be qualified for this position, you must have one year of specialized experience performing duties in the area of climate and environmental research with emphasis on earth system data informatics research. You must also have one year of experience equivalent to the next lower grade. Specialized experience is experience that equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled.
GS-13: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 level in the Federal government.
GS-14: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-13 level in the Federal government.
GS-15: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 level in the Federal government.
Degree Required: Bachelor's degree in physical sciences, engineering, or mathematics that included 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science, such as climate, environmental science, physical science instrumentation, and computational science and informatics. OR Combination of education and experience -- education equivalent to one of the majors shown above that included at least 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Foreign Education: If you completed all or part of your education outside of the U.S., you must have your foreign education evaluated by an accredited organization to ensure that the foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the U.S. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying for this position. For a listing of services that can perform this evaluation, see the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) website NACES. For additional information regarding evaluation of foreign equivalences, you may also visit the Department of Education's website: Department of Education.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT FOR THIS VACANCY:
- A preliminary background check must be initiated before you can begin work with the U.S. Department of Energy. Current Federal employees or other individuals with an existing completed background investigation may not be required to undergo another background check; these will be handled on a case-by-case basis in coordination with the Security Office.
- Failure to receive a favorable background investigation will result in termination from employment.
- This position is subject to drug testing. If selected, you must test negative prior to being appointed to this position and will be subject to random testing thereafter. Failure to pass subsequent tests could result in disciplinary action, up to and including removal from the Federal service.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated and rated under Category Rating and Selection procedures. Category rating combines the applicant's total qualifying experience and education/training into a single quality category. If you meet the basic qualification requirements, we will further evaluate your entire application package to determine the quality and extent of your experience, education, training, etc., for placement in one of the following categories:
1) Highly Qualified - Exceeds the minimum qualification requirements and all requirements of the position;
2) Well Qualified - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and nearly all requirements of the position;
3) Qualified - Meets the minimum qualification requirements.
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three", but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within appropriate category. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Highly Qualified) provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in that category unless approval has been granted.
NOTE: If it is determined that your responses to the job-specific questions are inconsistent with your resume or if your resume is incomplete, you will be rated ineligible or not qualified. To preview questions please click here.