In order to qualify for an Operations Research Analyst you must meet the following Basic Requirements and the Minimum Requirement:
Basic Requirement: Successfully completed a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a Bachelor's or higher degree that included a major field of study in operations research; OR at least 24 semester hours in a combination of operations research, mathematics, probability, statistics, mathematical logic, science, or subject-matter courses requiring substantial competence in college-level mathematics or statistics. At least 3 of the 24 semester hours must have been in calculus.
(Transcript(s) must be provided to support educational claims.) If college-level credit for calculus was obtained during high-school, transcript(s) must be submitted clearly supporting claim.
GS-09: At least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 level in the Federal service performing the following duties: 1) applying knowledge of research techniques to include basic mathematical modeling, statistical analysis and other operations research techniques; 2) utilizing statistical automated systems; and 3) participating in analysis of an organization program policies and operations. OR Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree in a field directly related to the position.(Must provide supporting transcripts) OR A combination of the experience and education as described above. (Must provide supporting transcripts)
GS-11: At least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 level in the Federal service performing the following duties: 1) applying knowledge of research techniques to include mathematical modeling, statistical analysis and other operations research techniques; 2) formulating mathematical expressions and drawing conclusions; and 3) participating in the development of new studies, methods, approaches, or procedures. OR Possess a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or three full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree in a field directly related to the position. (Must provide supporting transcripts) OR A combination of the experience and education as described above. (Must provide supporting transcripts)
GS-12: At least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal Service performing the following duties: 1) utilizing operations research tools and techniques and quantitative methodologies; 2) writing statistical computer programs; 3) developing methodology and studies to evaluate alternative courses of action for operations or programs; and 4) researching trends and patterns to develop new methods, criteria, or propose new policies and procedures.
If you are claiming education as any part of your qualifications for this position, you must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. Failure to do so may result in an ineligible rating.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education
All qualification requirements must be met by midnight (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
6. One-year probationary period may be required.
7. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: No
8. Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
9. Drug Screening Required: No
10. Recruitment incentives may be authorized: No
11. Student loan repayment incentive authorized: No
12. Annual leave for non-federal service authorized: No
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the job opportunity announcement closes, a review of your résumé and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job.
If, after reviewing your résumé and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your responses when compared to your background information, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your skills and abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Qualified candidates will be assigned to the following quality categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the required competencies listed below for this position.
- Operations Research Analyst
- Technical Competence in Grant Awards
- Oral Communication
- Written Guidance
Application of Veterans' Preference: The Category Rating process does not add veterans' preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-09 level or higher.)
To preview the assessment questionnaire, click the following link: View Assessment Questions.