Job Title:Assistant/Associate/Professor of National Security Studies
Department:Department of Defense
Agency:National Defense University
Job Announcement Number:NDU-013-032-839525
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Monday, February 11, 2013 to
Monday, February 25, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
Excepted Service Term NTE 3 years|
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Fort McNair, DC United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|All groups of qualified individuals |
The National Defense University (NDU) educates military and civilian leaders through teaching, research, and outreach in national security strategy, national military strategy, and national resource strategy; joint and multinational operations; information strategies, operations, and resource management; acquisition; and regional defense and security studies.
The mission of the National War College at National Defense University is to educate future leaders of the Armed Forces, State Department, and other civilian agencies for high-level policy, command, and staff responsibilities. To do this, NWC conducts a senior-level course of study in national security policy and strategy for selected U.S. and foreign military officers and federal officials.
The curriculum emphasizes the joint and interagency perspective. Reflecting this emphasis, 59 percent of the student body is composed of equal representation from the land, air, and sea (including Marine and Coast Guard) Services. The remaining 41 percent are drawn from the Department of State and other federal departments and agencies, and international fellows from a number of foreign countries.
This is a Title 10 Excepted Service Appointment. Appointment not to exceed 3 years with the possibility for extension.
DUTIES:Back to top
1) Prepares and delivers lectures and seminar instruction in the fields of national security policy, national strategy and related subject matter.
2)Serves as course director, providing overall direction and management of a major segment of the core curriculum to include planning course; developing course syllabus, readings and other instructional materials.
3) Participates in the development of future education policies and plans.
4)Assesses student performance in fulfilling education objectives in core seminars, elective courses and regional studies and prepares thorough written evaluations of the extent to which students meet College standards.
5) Conducts research on matters of U.S. national security policy and strategy, analyzes needs and developments in domestic and foreign policy, and makes original and innovative contributions on important national policy and strategy issues.
6) Serves as faculty advisor to students in academic program decisions, in selection of topics for individual and group research, in research methods, and the preparation of papers and oral presentations.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
HIGHLY QUALIFYING CRITERIA:
1. Substantial professional or academic background in the development, analysis, and conduct of policy to allow teaching across a broad range of subjects in the core and elective curriculum.
2. A demonstrated willingness and ability to teach core and elective courses about aspects of national security strategy, both in and outside the candidates principal specialty, and willingness to participate in the governance and curriculum development of the National War College.
3. Professional teaching experience in a related discipline at the university level and preferably graduate level, particularly in a seminar environment.
4. Demonstrated scholarly achievement and/ or policy experience in policy, legal, intelligence or military areas related to the development and implementation of national security strategy and policy.
Travel requirement for this position is seldom. You may be required to travel less than 15% of the time.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
HR will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. Applicants meeting the basic requirements will be further evaluated by information provided in the Assessment Questionnaire. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.