In order to meet the Minimum Qualifications for this IT Specialist (SYSADMIN) position at the GS-12 grade level, you must have at least 36 months of:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities that will be evaluated for this position include:
- general experience, education or training that has provided a basic knowledge of basic knowledge of telecommunication functions and general management principles that enabled the applicant to understand the stages required to automate a work process. Experience may have been gained in work such as computer operator or assistant, computer sales representative, program analyst, or other positions that required the use or adaptation of computer programs and systems.
- specialized experience, education, or training that approaches techniques and requirements appropriate to an assigned computer applications area or computer specialty area in an organization. Experience planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment where this entailed coordination with others outside the organizational unit and development of project controls. Experience that required adaptations of guidelines or precedents to meet the needs of the assignment. Experience preparing documentation on cost/benefit studies where is involved summarizing the material and organizing it in a logical fashion.
- Knowledge of a variety of operating systems (i.e., Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Unix, etc.) on desktop and server assets in order to administer user accounts and perform backup operations.
- Knowledge of project management techniques and tools sufficient to provide expert guidance on the implementation of emerging technologies to diverse dispersed locations throughout the state.
- Ability to lead team members who are assigned to one or more locations in the state.
- Knowledge of, and skill in applying the principles and methods for planning, updating, and integrating information system components, including software, controlling future releases, and documenting information and physical characteristics of an information system or product.
- Skill in troubleshooting problems in the data center and implementing changes on multifaceted and interdependent computer platforms.
- Skill in programming sufficient to modify application code, devise software patches or workarounds, document problems and advise the responsible vendor or other outside party on support issues.
- Skill in analyzing requests for new and modified applications with expert ability in system design, programming, hardware selection and adapting commercially available software.
- Knowledge of and skill in applying storage management practices and assignment of resources and file management techniques.
- Skill in using performance tuning tools and techniques to optimize systems functionality in order to meet installation systems requirements.
- Knowledge of the techniques and practices to implement fault tolerance on a diverse number of complex systems and applications in order to optimize functionality and service to the customer base.
- Knowledge of system diagnostic tools and structured techniques for the recovery of failed systems and data access.
- Knowledge of analysis and design techniques to develop system software modifications, systems administration policy and procedures for use across the organization.
- Knowledge of overall system architecture along with the systems being administered to integrate information systems components in order to install and maintain software and hardware configurations.
- Knowledge of state-of-art system software technology and related computer equipment to perform studies and evaluate whether changes in the system would be advisable.
- Knowledge of a wide range of IT standards, principles, concepts, methods, policies, and authorized approaches.
- Knowledge of agency applications, operating systems and components, protocols, and the hardware and software used throughout the state in order to conduct system administration functions.
- Knowledge of agency security principles and methods.
- Knowledge of VoIP telephone technologies as well as digital and analog (POTS) systems.
Educational Requirements and/or Substitution of Education for Experience: At the GS-12 level, a Ph.D. or equivalent, or 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree.
Major study-computer science, information science, information systems management, mathematics, statistics, operations research, or engineering, or course work that required the development or adaptation of computer programs and systems and provided knowledge equivalent to a major in the computer field.
Must participate in Direct Deposit
A criminal history check will be completed on all selectees before hire date.
Permanent Change of Station (PCS) funds are not available for this position.
ENLISTMENT CASH BONUSES: Acceptance of technician position may affect any bonus and/or educational assistance that may be payable.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The work is performed in a typical office setting. Special safety precautions are not required.
PHYSICAL EFFORT: The work is sedentary. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/59 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills and abilities required of this position. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.