Department: Department Of Agriculture
Agency: Food and Nutrition Service
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
This opportunity is open to Recent Graduates who have graduated within the past 2 years. If you have served in the military, please submit a DD-214 to allow for extensions of this 2 year time limitation (may be extended up to a total 6 years).
This appointment is being filled under the Pathways Program - Recent Graduate program.
The Recent Graduates Program provides individuals, who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs, with developmental opportunities in the Federal Government. Participants must have obtained a degree, or completed a qualifying career or technical education program within the preceding 2 years. If you served in the military after receiving your degree please see the “Qualifications” section below for more information regarding your eligibility. Upon successful completion of the program, if you are a United States citizen, you may be noncompetitively converted to a permanent position, or in some circumstances a term appointment in the competitive service.
The mission of the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) is to increase food security and reduce hunger in partnership with cooperating organizations by providing children and low-income people with access to food, a healthy diet, and nutrition education in a manner that supports American agriculture and inspires public confidence.
FNS provides excellent opportunities for specialized training through its own facilities and outside resources. Career guidance and on- and off-the-job training programs are tailored to an individual employee's needs. If you want to apply your knowledge and skills to food program activities that seek to strengthen America, there is a challenging and rewarding career waiting for you with FNS!
This position is located at 3101 Park Center Drive, Alexandria VA.
*FNCS is not metro accessible.
Key provisions of the Recent Graduates Program
- Recent graduates who have completed, within the previous two years, a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution.
- Preference Eligible Veterans unable to apply, due to military service obligations, have up to six years after the completion of their degree and/or certificate to apply.
Training and Development:
- Orientation program
- Mentorship throughout the Program.
- Individual Development Plan to assist with career planning, professional development, and training activities.
- At least 40 hours of formal, interactive training each year of the Program.
- Positions may offer opportunity for career advancement.
After Program Completion:
Recent Graduates may be converted to a permanent position (or, in some limited circumstances a term appointment lasting 1-4 years).
To be eligible for conversion, Recent Graduates must have:
- Successfully completed at least 1-year of continuous service in addition to all requirements of the Program.
- Demonstrated successful job performance.
- Met the qualifications for the position to which the Recent Graduate will be converted.
- FNS offers opportunities for flexible work schedules.
- You must be a US Citizen or *US National.
- Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
*Non-citizens may be hired in the USDA Pathways Programs provided that the individual is lawfully admitted to the United States as a permanent resident or is otherwise authorized to be employed and the agency is authorized to pay aliens under its annual appropriations or other applicable laws. Program participants must be United States citizens to be eligible for noncompetitive conversion to the competitive service. (Optional for applicable mission areas).
* For more information please visit http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1401