Job Title:Health Communication Specialist
Department:Department Of Health And Human Services
Agency:Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Job Announcement Number:HHS-CDC-D3-13-835784
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Tuesday, February 12, 2013 to
Wednesday, February 20, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Atlanta, GA United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|United States Citizens |
Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), Office of the Director (OD), Atlanta, GA.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-M3-13-835751 under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
Who May Apply: Open to all United States Citizens.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps (not as a career/career-conditional employee) are encouraged to apply under the merit promotion announcement indicated above.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical location.
CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Background investigation required.
DUTIES:Back to top
This position is to serve as a health communication and marketing content expert and advisor for HHS health, regulatory or human services program. Plans, applies, and evaluates various communication science and marketing techniques to achieve optimal program results and promote positive health outcomes. Guides the development, testing, and disseminating scientific information and audience-based products, tools, and messages (i.e., via written, electronic, and audiovisual formats). Conducts and manages audience research and program evaluation activities for health communication and marketing. Contributes to the management and oversight of state, regional, or national public health communication and marketing projects and campaigns. Liaises with other communicators and communication staff on cross-cutting issues. Provide advice, technical assistance and leadership in planning and developing communication and marketing priorities, campaigns, strategies, and practices for effective communication and marketing directed toward professional and lay audiences,including underserved populations and populations at risk.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience at the GS-12 level of difficulty and responsibility in the Federal service as defined in the next paragraph.
Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position planning, implementing, managing, and evaluating complex public health communication and marketing programs and campaigns related to immunizations and respiratory disease.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Additional Security and Background Requirements: May be referred depending on the position being filled. If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
3. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
4. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: No
5. Bargaining Unit Position: No
6. Drug Screening Required: No
7. Recruitment Bonus may be authorized: No
8. Research position: No
9. Supervisory position: No
10. Promotion potential: No
11. Time in grade (TIG) must be met within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
12. Recruitment Bonus may be authorized: No
13. Travel required: No
14. Moving expenses will not be authorized
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified.
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher). Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You do not have to respond to the KSAs separately but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the KSAs.
1. Knowledge of health communication theories, principles, practices and techniques
2. Skill in project management techniques to plan health communication and marketing strategies
3. Skill in oral communciation
4. Skill in written communication