Job Title:General Engineer (Safety Standards), GS-0801-11 (Open to All U.S. Citizens) BB
Department:Department Of Transportation
Agency:National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Job Announcement Number:NHTSA.NVS-2013-0026
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Tuesday, February 05, 2013 to
Thursday, February 14, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time - -
|3 vacancies in the following location:|
Washington, DC, USView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
Applications will be accepted from any U.S. citizen. A separate job announcement is being advertised for applicants eligible for status consideration. Current and former status employees and veterans who qualify under VEOA are encouraged to also apply to announcement: NHTSA.NVS-2013-0025.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is dedicated to achieving the highest standards of excellence in motor vehicle and highway safety. The agency strives to exceed the expectations of its customers through its core values of Integrity, Service and Leadership. Save lives, prevent injuries and reduce economic costs due to road traffic crashes, through education, research, safety standards and enforcement activity. Work for NHTSA.
You will serve as an engineer within the Light Duty Vehicle Division of the Office of Crashworthiness Standards. The Office of Crashworthiness Standards (OCW) is responsible for developing and maintaining safety standards related to reducing the likelihood of death and injury during motor vehicle crashes. The Light Duty Vehicle Division provides a focal point for the development of motor vehicle safety performance improvements and promulgation of any resulting Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, regulations and/or guidelines dealing with frontal crash protection, side impact protection, vehicle compatibility, seat belts, seat belt assemblies, advanced air bags, upper interior head protection, seat back strength, head restraints, ejection mitigation, and window glazing.
The ideal candidate for this position is highly self-motivated, possesses good engineering judgment, has excellent oral and written communication skills, and is capable of working cooperatively with others within NHTSA and organizations within the motor vehicle industry to accomplish the agency's goal of improved safety.
Writing samples may be requested during the interview process.
- You must be a U.S. citizen and meet specialized experience
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date
- Provide all required documents by closing date
- Position is telework eligible
- Announcement also advertised Merit Promotion: NHTSA.NVS-2013-0025
- Announcement may be used to fill similar positions within 30 days
DUTIES:Back to top
A General Engineer (Safety Standards):
- Must have thorough knowledge of mechanical engineering concepts, principles and practices applicable to mechanical engineering and structural design, strength of materials, dynamics, vibrations, mechanics, mathematical modeling and computer simulation.
- Is responsible for assisting senior engineers and managers in specified portions of the development and management of the routine parts of complex engineering projects. Provides necessary but routine analyses in support of crashworthiness engineering aspects of rulemaking activities.
- Develops detailed descriptions of proposed solutions to safety problems, documents evidence of feasibility, and evaluate possible effectiveness.
- Assists in technical review of petitions to include analysis of material submitted, a search and survey of relevant information available to the agency, the collection of additional information, or a public hearing. Participates in drafting and coordinating the necessary documentation.
- Assists in preparing and coordinating correspondence describing the progress, status, and proposed solutions to safety problems in response to letters and other means of inquiry from the public.
- Responds to internal requests for review and comment on reports, correspondence, drafts of administrative procedures, and other proposed actions.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must (1) meet the Education Requirement for the series, (2) provide a copy of transcripts for verification, AND (3) meet either the education or experience qualifications for the grade at which you are requesting consideration.
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
To qualify on Education, you must have:
To qualify on Experience, you must have one year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to the following:
3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree OR Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree
- Experience applying engineering concepts, principles and practices applicable to structural design, strength of materials, dynamics, vibrations, mechanics, mathematical modeling or computer simulation.
You can also qualify based on a combination of Education and Experience
MANDATORY EDUCATION REQUIREMENT:
All applicants must meet one of the following
requirements to qualify for consideration for an
- Successful completion of a professional
engineering degree at an accredited university
- Have a combination of college level
education or training AND technical experience
that has furnished you with
(1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and
mathematical sciences underlying professional
(2) a good understanding, both theoretical and
practical, of the engineering sciences and
techniques and their applications to one of the
branches of engineering. The adequacy of such
background must be demonstrated by one of the
- Professional registration as a
- Evidence of Passing the Engineer-in-Training
- Successful documented completion of at least
60 semester hours of courses in the physical,
mathematical, and engineering sciences as
described by OPM.
- Successful completion of a curriculum
leading to a bachelor's degree in engineering
technology or in an appropriate professional
field and at least 1 year of professional
engineering experience acquired under
professional engineering supervision and
Please review the OPM page on specifics about
required curriculum and for more information on
qualifications, please visit GS-800:
All Professional Engineering Positions
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- You must complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
- Government Travel Card - You must be able to obtain and retain a Government contractor-issued travel card to be used for official business as a condition of employment. If unable to obtain and/or retain a card, you may be subject to removal. Those who fail to meet this condition of employment will have our offer of employment rescinded.
WRITING SAMPLES MAY BE REQUESTED DURING THE INTERVIEW PROCESS.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of four categories: Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze, which is based upon your responses to the vacancy questions. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference that have provided supporting documents will receive selection priority over non-veterans. The top rated applications will be reviewed for the quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. If your resume does not support the specialized experience, or if your application does not support your answers to the Vacancy Specific Questions, your final rating may be modified and/or you may be disqualified from consideration. To preview questions please click here.