Job Title:Background Investigator
Agency:Office of Personnel Management
Job Announcement Number:13-108-SWA-DE
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Monday, February 04, 2013 to
Friday, February 15, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|Few vacancies in the following location:|
Fort Meade, MD United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|United States Citizens |
This position is also being announced under the Agency's Merit Promotion Plan to federal employees and non-competitive appointment eligibles. If you wish to be considered under Merit Promotion or Non-Competitive procedures, you MUST apply under the Merit Promotion announcement 13-108-SWA-MP.
As an Investigator at OPM's Federal Investigative Services, you will conduct investigations and interviews/checks to complete background investigations for suitability on current and prospective Federal employees. As an OPM Investigator, extensive travel is required within the local commuting area of this announcement as well as the possible need for frequent overnight travel outside the local commuting area.
- U.S. Citizen
- Suitable for Federal employment, determined by a background investigation
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service
- Relevant experience (see Qualifications below)
DUTIES:Back to top
- Assisting with conducting Federal Personnel Background Investigations, many of which are sensitive or controversial, where allegations, hearsay information, or other vague or intangible information of an adverse nature exist.
- Evaluating individual's trustworthiness for access to classified information, placement in a sensitive position, retention in the military services, or placement in Federal employment.
- Assist with collecting and developing information from a variety of sources.
- Preparing reports of investigation in accordance with OPM guidelines and instructions.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To meet the basic qualification requirements for this position, you must have:
· At least one year of experience that is equivalent in difficulty and complexity to work performed at the GS-7 level. To be qualifying, this experience should include the following: At least one year of technical or professional experience conducting investigations or reviewing investigative reports and supporting information (documentary evidence, affidavits, testimony, etc.) for completeness and accuracy, compliance with law and regulation, and issue identification and characterization.
· Two full years of graduate education or a master's degree, LL.B, J.D., or equivalent degree. Such education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work.
· You may also combine education with experience on a pro rata basis to meet the qualification requirements.
You must meet all qualification requirements within 30 days after the closing date of this announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your application package to ensure you meet the job requirements. Your application package must support your answers to the occupational questionnaire. If your answers cannot be verified, your rating will be changed to an appropriate level.
All applicants will be rated on the following Skills or Competencies:
Planning and Organizing
If you meet all of the basic and minimum qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans.