Job Title:Economist, GS-0110-9/11/12 (Open to all U.S. citizens) ARC
Department:Department Of Transportation
Agency:Office of the Secretary of Transportation
Job Announcement Number:OST.P-2013-0002
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Monday, February 04, 2013 to
Wednesday, February 27, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time - -
|2 vacancies -
Washington, DC, USView Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Applications will be accepted from any U.S. citizen. A separate job announcement is being advertised for applicants eligible for status consideration. Current and former status employees and veterans who qualify under VEOA are encouraged to also apply to announcement: OST.P-2013-0003|
Vacancy is limited to the first 150 applications and will close early at midnight on the day we receive the 150th application.
The Office of the Secretary (OST) oversees the formulation of National transportation policy and promotes intermodal transportation. Other responsibilities range from negotiation and implementation of international transportation agreements, assuring the fitness of US airlines, enforcing airline consumer protection regulations, issuance of regulations to prevent alcohol and illegal drug misuse in transportation systems and preparing transportation legislation.
This position is located in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Transportation Policy, Office of Economic and Strategic Analysis (OESA), which in turn is part of the Office of the Secretary of Transportation (OST). You will report to the Chief Economist, who is the Director of OESA. OESA examines transportation policy issues from an economic perspective , conducts analyses of the economic effects of transportation policies, and designs more economically efficient policies. These analyses focus on the economic impact of transportation investments, strategies for using transportation infrastructure more efficiently, ways of increasing the economic efficiency of federal transportation programs, new ways of financing transportation infrastructure, and analyzing the cost and benefits of transportation rulemakings.
- You must be a U.S. citizen and meet specialized experience
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date
- Provide all required documents by closing date
- Position is telework eligible
- Announcement also advertised to status applicants: OST.P-2013-0003
- Announcement may be used to fill similar positions within 30 days
DUTIES:Back to top
As an Economist, you will:
- Use established procedures, assemble and analyze data elements from published sources and computer data banks.
- Plan and conduct surveys to collect economic data.
- Conduct studies of specific economic issues as assigned, including the preparation of tables and charts designed to present economic data and relationships as well as narrative descriptions of the data sources, the implications of the research findings, and conclusions of the study.
- Visit establishments to collect economic data.
- Analyze and interpret data.
- Prepare preliminary reports on the results of economic analyses and research.
- Brief the media, industry, labor, and other government agencies on economic trends.
- Prepare draft replies to written inquiries and external recommendations. Advise junior level economists or other office staff on appropriate economic models, the validity of selected approaches to problem solving, and the adequacy of data and data collection processes.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must meet the EDUCATION REQUIREMENT for the series, provide a copy of transcripts for verification, and meet either the education or specialized experience requirements for the grade at which you are requesting consideration.
To qualify on Education, you must have at least:
To qualify on Experience, your experience should include experience equal or equivalent to the following:
To qualify strictly based on education, the education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. For this position, you must have completed 2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree at an accredited college or university in a field related to the position being advertised.
- Experience preparing reports and analyzing or interpreting economic trends on transportation industry activities.
You can also qualify based on a combination of Education and Experience.
To qualify based on education, the education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. For this position, you must have completed 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree at an accredited college or university in a field related to the position being advertised.
- Experience conducting and analyzing economic research related to transportation and interpreting findings to senior policy makers.
You can also qualify based on a combination of Education and Experience
There is no education substitute.
- Experience conducting or designing economic studies impacting the transportation industry.
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
MANDATORY EDUCATION FOR ECONOMISTS
Degree: Economics, that include at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus. OR Combination of education and experience--courses equivalent to a major in economics, as shown in above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- You must complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
- Government Travel Card - You must be able to obtain and retain a Government contractor-issued travel card to be used for official business as a condition of employment. If unable to obtain and/or retain a card, you may be subject to removal. Those who fail to meet this condition of employment will have our offer of employment rescinded.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of four categories: Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze, which is based upon your responses to the vacancy questions. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference that have provided supporting documents will receive selection priority over non-veterans. The top rated applications will be reviewed for the quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. If your resume does not support the specialized experience, or if your application does not support your answers to the Vacancy Specific Questions, your final rating may be modified and/or you may be disqualified from consideration.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit a complete application package (including resume, vacancy questions and supporting documents) no later than midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
- To begin, click the Apply Online button on the job announcement.
- Follow the directions to register, submit all required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire.
- You may review your saved application(s) at https://my.usajobs.gov.
If you are having difficulty applying online, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (202)366-1298.
The following documents must
be provided by the close date:
Failure to submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the vacancy will result in your removal from consideration for this position.
- RESUME - Showing relevant experience and education and fully supporting the required specialized experience.
- COMPLETED QUESTIONNAIRE
- TRANSCRIPTS: THIS POSITION HAS MANDATORY EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS. COLLEGE TRANSCRIPTS ARE REQUIRED UNLESS YOU ARE CURRENTLY IN THIS OCCUPATIONAL SERIES AND SUBMIT AN SF-50.
- VETERANS - In order to be considered as a preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, DD214. Your DD214 need not be official but must show the type of discharge and dates of active duty. If you are claiming preference eligibility as a disabled veteran, you must submit proof of entitlement of this preference which is normally a valid letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying to the present existence of the service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of your disability.
- SPECIAL APPOINTING AUTHORITY DOCUMENTS - If requesting concurrent consideration for Non-competitive (NC) appointment eligibility (e.g. military spouse or persons with disabilities), you must provide appropriate supporting documentation such as PCS orders describing move & marriage certificate; letter from VA or DD214 describing 100% disability of spouse; letter from State Vocational Office certifying disability, etc. For more information, visit military spouse NC appointments or Persons with Disabilities NC appointments. Documents are only required if requesting non-competitive consideration.
- DISPLACED EMPLOYEE PLACEMENT DOCUMENTS - Only required if requesting priority consideration under CTAP/ICTAP. You must submit ALL of the following: (1) your most recent performance appraisal, (2) the proof of eligibility letter from the Agency, and (3) your most current SF-50, displaying current series and grade. In addition, you must meet the well qualified standards for this vacancy (falling in the Gold Category).
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You may check your application status by logging into your USAJOBS account. Within two weeks of the closing date, your application will be reviewed and rated. The most highly qualified candidates in the top group will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration. If you are selected for an interview, the hiring manager will contact you directly. Once a hiring decision is made, we will notify all applicants of their final status.