Click on link below to view qualification standard.
Specialized experience: To Qualify applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade/level GS-05. Specialized experience is defined as: Selecting the proper dental equipment for various dental surgeries in a dental clinic or hospital operating room. Administering IV medication under dentists supervision and /or direction. Exposing and/or developing radiographs.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
Skill in Preparing Patients for Various Dental Procedures
- Skill in Performing a Variety of Scrub Duties
- Ability to Assist Dentist and/or Oral Surgeon in a variety of Maxillofacial Procedures
- Skill in Preparing Dental Clinic or Hospital Operation Room for Various Dental Procedures
Individual Occupational Requirements
NOTE: Public Law 97-35 requires that persons who administer radiologic procedures meet the credentialing standards in 42 CFR Part 75. Essentially, they must (l) have successfully completed an educational program that meets or exceeds the standards described in that regulation, and is accredited by an organization recognized by the Department of Education, and (2) be certified as radiographers in their field. The following meet these requirements:
(1) Persons employed by the Federal Government as radiologic personnel prior to the effective date of the regulation (January 13, 1986) who show evidence of current or fully satisfactory performance or certification of such from a licensed practitioner such as a doctor of medicine, osteopathy, dentistry, podiatry, or chiropractic who prescribes radiologic procedures to others.
(2) Persons first employed by the Federal Government as radiologic personnel after the effective date of the regulation who (a) received training from institutions in a State or foreign jurisdiction that did not accredit training in that particular field at the time of graduation, or (b) practiced in a State or foreign jurisdiction that did not license that particular field or did not allow special eligibility to take a licensure examination for those who did not graduate from an accredited educational program, provided such persons show evidence of training, experience, and competence, as determined by OPM or the employing agency.
Special Requirements for GS-5 and above Dental Assistant (Expanded Function):
Applicants for Dental Assistant (Expanded Function) positions must have completed l year of acceptable course work, preceptorship, or other formal training and/or work assignments specifically designed to equip them with knowledge and skills required to perform intra-oral procedures involved in the position to be filled. Examples of acceptable training are:
- Courses in a dental hygiene or dental assistant program accredited by the American Dental Association's Commission on Accreditation that are directly related to the intra-oral procedures (also referred to as expanded functions) that are to be performed in the position to be filled.
- U.S. Army's Dental Therapy Assistant Training Program.
- Continuing education courses in expanded functions for dental assistants offered by the Indian Health Service of the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Other training comparable to the above in private or governmental hospitals, clinics, or schools that included formal classroom instruction and clinical training in the knowledge and skills required to perform intra-oral procedures in the position to be filled.
Must be a certified radiographer.
Click here for more information.
Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
One year trial/probationary period may be required.
Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
Must be able to obtain and maintain a ANACI security clearance.
May require to comply with Drug Abuse Testing Program requirements.
A medical examination may be required.
You must attach a copy of your documents supporting the previous stated acceptable training requirements to your package.
Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification required. You must attach a copy of your current Basic Life Support (BLS) certificate to your package.
Transcripts. You must attach a copy of your official transcripts to your package
Certified radiographer required. You must attach a copy of your current certified radiographer certification to your package.
Successful completion of one year of acceptable course work, preceptorship, or formal training and/or work assignments specifically designed to equip them with the knowledge and skills required to perform intra-oral procedures. NOTE: You MUST attach your completion documents in your registration package.
Successful completion of an educational program to administer radiologic procedures. You MUST attach your completion documents in your registration package.
Mandatory seasonal Influenza vaccination requirements.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be reviewed to verify that you meet the basic eligibility and qualification requirements. Your responses to the questionnaire will be used to evaluate your relevant personal, educational, and work experiences. Only the most recently submitted resume will be considered.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) provides eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. If your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority if: 1) this vacancy is within your ICTAP eligibility, 2) you apply under the instructions in this announcement, and 3) you are found well-qualified for this vacancy. Well-qualified is defined as meeting all of the minimum qualification standards and eligibility requirements as well as possessing skills that clearly exceed the minimum qualification requirements for the position. Under competitive delegated examining, an ICTAP eligible will be considered well-qualified if they attain an eligibility rating of 90 or higher, not including points for veterans' preference. You must provide proof of eligibility with your application to receive selection priority. Such proof may include a copy of your written notification of ICTAP eligibility or a copy of your separation personnel action form. Information about ICTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website at http://www.opm.gov/ctap/index.asp.