Applicants must meet both the basic requirements and the specialized experience described below:
Basic Requirements - All applicants must meet A or B below:
- A. Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting and/or auditing. The 24 semester hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (MUST SUBMIT TRANSCRIPTS)
- B. Combination of education and experience -- at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following (MUST SUBMIT DOCUMENTATION):
- Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;
- A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or
- Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
Specialized Experience: In addition to meeting the Basic Requirements above, applicants must have at least one full year of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the GS-13 level or higher in the Federal service, that included managing reporting requirements and developing organizational accounting policies and procedures; establishing effective internal controls; and serving as a technical advisor on accounting and financial policies, procedures, and issues for an organization.
If education is a basic requirement or you are qualifying all or in part based on your education, you must submit transcripts (official or unofficial). Failure to submit transcripts may result in an ineligible rating.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For more information, click on foreign education.
Time-in-Grade: Current and former permanent Federal employees must have served 52 weeks at the next lower grade level of the grade level being filled for this position.
All qualification requirements must be met by midnight (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the job opportunity announcement closes, your résumé and supporting documents will be reviewed and evaluated against your assessment questionnaire responses to determine whether you are qualified for this position. If a determination is made that you have inflated your responses, you may lose consideration. Be sure to carefully follow all instructions; errors or omissions may affect your consideration for this position.
For Merit Promotion and Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA) Applicants: The highest rated merit promotion/VEOA candidates will be referred to the hiring agency.
For Noncompetitive Appointment Applicants: All qualified noncompetitive candidates will be referred to the hiring agency.
The assessment questionnaire is designed to measure the following competencies that are required for this position:
- Accounting Principles, Policies, and Procedures
- Accounting Systems
- Problem Solving
- Oral Communication
- Written Communication
To preview the assessment questionnaire, click the following link: View Assessment Questions