BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENT:
Degree in operations research; or at least 24 semester hours in a combination of operations research, mathematics, probability, statistics, mathematical logic, science, or subject-matter courses requiring substantial competence in college-level mathematics or statistics. At least 3 of the 24 semester hours must have been in calculus.
TRANSCRIPTS: You must submit a copy of college transcripts (unofficial/official) to receive further consideration. Failure to provide transcripts will result in an ineligible rating. You qualify at the GS-11 level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience performing duties such as:
- Applying the principles, concepts, and methodology of mathematics and analysis sufficient to conducting analytical investigations; Using scientific methodology and problem solving to conduct data analysis;
- Performing academic based research (including academic libraries, peer review journals, scientific journals, etc.) and/or reviewing existing methodologies and studies to apply best practices and lessons learned to assigned data and/or operational analysis projects;
- Using testing and evaluating methodologies and practices related to program management and data analysis; and
- Preparing reports, studies and conducting briefings.
Substitution of Education for Experience for the GS-11: You may substitute a Ph. D. or equivalent graduate degree from an accredited college or university in operations research; or at least 24 semester hours in a combination of operations research, mathematics, probability, statistics, mathematical logic, science, or subject-matter courses requiring substantial competence in college-level mathematics or statistics. At least 3 of the 24 semester hours must have been in calculus.
Combining Experience and Education: Combination of successfully completed education leading towards a doctoral degree in an appropriate discipline and experience as describe above, the total of which equals at least one year.
You qualify at the GS-12 level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience performing duties such as:
- Performing analytical work that involves designing, developing, and adapting mathematical, statistical, econometric, and other methods and techniques, including quantitative analysis studies with emphasis on quantitative operational analysis approaches (such as optimization);
- Developing computer simulations, optimization modeling, systems dynamics, enterprise level, and other modeling and simulation development suites; manipulating large data sets, using software tools to transform and convert data sets into inputs for computer simulation models;
- Researching, analyzing, and evaluating the capture and reporting of enterprise-wide data appropriate for the development of advanced mathematical or statistical models; and
- Preparing management reports, memos and other documents that properly and accurately define and evaluate problems, and presenting recommendations to supervisors.
You qualify at the GS-13 level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience performing duties such as:
- Applying analytical, mathematical, or statistical theories, principles, concepts, methods, and techniques related to statistical analysis, computer modeling, decision theory, mathematical programming, regression analysis, and economic analysis sufficient to develop a national-level or enterprise-level risk assessment and analysis model that measures risk and identifies trends and critical gaps on resources;
- Conducting complex operations research, modeling, simulation and analysis;
- Testing and evaluating methodologies and practices related to program management, operational resource needs and technical performance;
- Identifying work product inefficiencies and creating alternative solutions for problem solving and resolution; and
- Preparing comprehensive reports, analytical studies and other documents that properly and accurately define and evaluate problems, and presenting recommendations to supervisors.
There are no educational substitutions at the GS-12 or GS-13 grade level.
Note: You must submit a copy of your official transcripts by closing date, in order to verify your claim. Failure to submit these document(s) will result in an ineligible rating for this position. If selected, you will need to submit an official copy of transcripts. Qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Qualification claims will be subject to verification.
Requirements by Closing Date: Unless otherwise noted, you must meet all requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
Probationary Period: This is a full-time permanent position (Career/Career-Conditional appointment). Upon appointment to this position, you may be required to serve a one-year probationary period.
Proof of Education: If basing your qualifications on education, you must submit transcripts or list of college courses, with credit hours, major(s) and grade point average or class ranking. (Prior to appointment, an official college transcript will be required.) This education must be from an institution accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your experience, education and training will be rated using an Assessment Questionnaire. The questions are related to the following fundamental competencies (or Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities) needed to perform the duties of this job: Strategic Thinking, Research, Operational Analysis, Data Analysis, Writing, Organizational Skills and Project Management.
Based on your responses, you will be placed in one of the following categories:
- Best Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
- Well Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
- Qualified: Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Applicants in the best qualified category will be referred to the hiring manager and may be called for an interview.
ICTAP/CTAP Eligibles: If you have never worked for the federal government, you are not ICTAP/CTAP eligible. Information about ICTAP or CTAP eligibility is on the OPM's Career Transition Resources website at http://www.opm.gov/ctap/index.asp. To be considered well qualified under ICTAP/CTAP you must be placed in the well qualified category for this position as described above.
Veterans: Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they are qualified. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are placed in the best qualified category above non-preference eligibles, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher. This position IS considered scientific/professional. For more information regarding veterans' preference, please see: http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.