Job Title: Laborer (Heavy Duty) - TEMPORARYJob Announcement Number: BR-UC-2013-01 (DE-rb)
Department: Department Of The Interior
Agency: Bureau of Reclamation
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Hour
Wednesday, January 30, 2013 to
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
4-Temporary, Full-time Positions -
TEMPORARY APPTS NOT-TO-EXCEED 6 MOS - May be extended for up to 2 yrs, if needed.
WHO MAY APPLY:
All United States Citizens and Nationals.
Reclamation is a contemporary water management agency. Reclamation is best known for Hoover Dam on the Colorado River, Grand Coulee Dam on the Columbia River and Folsom Dam on the American River. Today we are the largest wholesaler of water in the country and the second largest producer of hydroelectric power in the western United States. Visit: http://www.usbr.gov. View our DVD titled "Traditions, Talent, and Teamwork" at: http://www.usbr.gov/pmts/hr/video/.
Reclamation is seeking Heavy Duty Laborers looking for an opportunity to capitalize on their expertise in performing tasks related to the operation and maintenance of facilities associated with the Curecanti Field Division. This is an opportunity to become an integral part of a team and grow in a hydro power environment. You can make a difference in the West by assisting in meeting increasing water demands while protecting the environment.
Here is a great opportunity to join a great organization with excellent growth potential!
THESE ARE FOUR TEMPORARY POSITIONS, NOT-TO-EXCEED 6 MONTHS, THAT CANNOT BE MADE PERMANENT. These temporary positions are assigned to the Bureau of Reclamation, Upper Colorado Region, Power Office in the Curecanti Field Division; in the Blue Mesa, Crystal and Morrow Point Groups; duty stationed in Montrose, Colorado.
For living conditions in Montrose, Colorado go to: http://www.cityofmontrose.org/
Travel, Transportation and Relocation Expenses will NOT be paid by our agency. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty to this position will be the responsibility of the individual selected.
* Additional positions may be filled as needs of agency warrant.
- U.S. Citizenship or National;
- MUST Apply Online, Submit Detailed Resume & Answer Assessment Questions;
- Subject to Pre-Employment & Annual Physical & Pulmonary Function Test;
- Valid State Driver's License Required; Must Lift & Carry Items over 50 lbs;
- Subject to After Hours Call-Outs; Work in Confined Areas & High Places;
- Subject to Favorable Adjudication of Suitability Background Investigation.
DUTIES:Back to top
- Perform a variety of industrial facility and equipment maintenance duties associated with dams, hydroelectric power plants, and related facilities.
- Perform facility and equipment maintenance duties such as replacing guard rails; painting buildings, structures, gates, equipment and other related items; and changing light bulbs and door knobs.
- Perform lawn and grounds maintenance, including snow removal, maintaining sprinkler systems, pruning and mowing.
- Operate and use a variety of light equipment and tools such as lawn mowers, fork lifts, motorized man-lifts, chain lifts, and hoists, and light trucks, drills, saws, etc.
- Assist in a variety of trades such as masonry, concrete, carpentry, plumbing, painting, electrical, and mechanical.
PHYSICAL EFFORT: Exerts moderately heavy physical effort which involves lifting and carrying items weighing up to 100 pounds. Climbing ladders and stairs, walking, standing, kneeling, crawling, or bending for long periods of time may be required in performing maintenance duties. May also involve working from suspended scaffolding and motorized man-lifts at substantial heights, and working in closed, restricted quarters and confined spaces.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The work is accomplished in and around dams, power plants, and related facilities with exposure to high levels of noise, moving parts, hazardous materials, and electrical hazards. Work is also performed outside under prevailing weather and terrain conditions. Some work assignments are performed in confined spaces, closed and restricted quarters, and at substantial heights.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Minimum qualifications for trades and labor positions are determined by evaluation of job elements. You must meet at least 2 points on the screen-out element(s) and obtain an average of at least 2 points on all of the job elements in order to be considered qualified for this position.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Category rating and selection procedures will be used for evaluating this position. If you meet the basic qualification requirements, your on-line responses to the vacancy assessment questionnaire will be used to determine the quality and extent of your experience, education, training, etc., for placement in one of the following categories: 1) Best Qualified, 2) Well Qualified and 3) Qualified. Qualified candidates will be assigned a numerical score on a scale of 70-100 and Veterans with preference will be placed at the top of their respective category. The assessment questionnaire will take you approximately 30 minutes to complete. To preview questions please click here.
Applicants will be further evaluated on the following "Job Elements" through your resume and responses to the online questions:
1. Ability to perform the work of a Heavy Duty Laborer without more than normal supervision (SCREEN-OUT).
2. Ability to follow directions.
3. Knowledge of technical practices.
4. Ability to lift and handle tools.
5. Ability to use appropriate equipment and tools safely.
6. Ability to function as a member of a team.
Applicant's answers to questions will be verified against information provided in their online resume. Be sure that the resume clearly supports the responses to all the questions by addressing experience, education and/or training relevant to this position. Applicants must make a fair and accurate assessment of their qualifications. Applicants who exaggerate or falsify their experience and/or education may be removed from employment consideration.