(From VHA Qualification Standards)
- Citizenship. Applicant must be a citizen of the United States.
- Experience. Six months experience that demonstrates the applicant's ability to perform the work, or provides familiarity with the work.
- Education Successful completion of a 1 year dental assistant program accredited by the American Dental Association's Commission on Accreditation that included a coarse in radiation physics, radiation biology, radiation health, safety, and protection; X-ray films and radiographic film quality; radiographic techniques; dark room and processing techniques; and film mounting/ or practical nurse training approved by the appropriate State, territory, or District of Columbia accrediting body.
- Experience/Education Combination Equivalent combinations of experience and education are qualifying.
- Certification. Public Law 97-35 requires that persons who administer radiologic procedures meet the credentialing standards in 42 CFR Part 75. Essentially, they must have successfully completed an educational program that meets or exceeds the standards described in that regulation, and is accredited by an organization recognized by the Department of Education, and be certified as radiographers in their field.
Alternative Provisions for Certification of Radiologic Competence:
(a) Successful completion of the Dental Radiation Health and Safety Examination administered by the Dental Assisting National Board, Inc.
(b) Successful completion of the education and training, including course work in radiation health and safety, described by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) as fully qualifying for any grad level (copies of certificates of successful completion, plus transcripts or course descriptions of the required subjects must be filed in the employee's official personnel folder);
(c) Successful completion of the Principles and Practice of Dental Radiology and Radiographic Safety courses and examinations developed by the Assistant Under Secretary for Health for Dentistry. The Chief, Dental Service, will certify competency based on documentation of successful completion of this training, a copy of which will be filed in the personnel folder.
IN ADDITION TO THE BASIC REQUIREMENTS, GS-6 REQUIRES: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-5 level in Federal Service that demonstrates the core competencies which includes: knowledge of anatomy and radiological techniques; skills in operating dental radiographic machinery; knowledge of instruments, materials and standardized dental procedures used in all phases of restorative, surgical, endodontics, and periodontic care; knowledge of preventive dentistry measures to instruct patients in proper oral hygiene techniques; knowledge of dental laboratory procedures to begin the laboratory phase; basic knowledge of the computerized dental record and privacy requirements and knowledge of Occupational Safety & Health administration (OSHA) standards for clinical and laboratory operations. In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the following technical KSA's:
- Knowledge of instruments, materials, and standardized dental procedures used in the specialty of oral and maxillofacial surgery.
- Knowledge of anatomy of the oral structures and an understanding of the surgical procedures performed.
- Advanced knowledge of Occupational, Safety & Health (OSHA) standards for clinical and laboratory operations.
In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. We may not make assumptions regarding your experience.
Reference: VA Qualification Standards (Handbook 5005) is available in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements. Applicants must be physically and mentally able to efficiently perform the essential functions of the position without harm to themselves or others. Applicants for this position must pass a pre-employment medical examination.
Applicants Please Note: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited toward qualifications. Applicants must, therefore, only report attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S, Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http;//www/ed/gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly.
***If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send in a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcripts in order to receive credit for that education.***
Reference: VA Qualifications Standards (Handbook 5005) is available in the local Human Resources Office.
- Subject to satisfactory completion of our credentialing process.
- Selectee will be presented to a peer review board to determine final grade and salary.
- Subject to a one year probationary period.
- Position does not confer competitive status.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov/)
When applying for Federal jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of DD-214(s) showing all dates of service as well as character of service (honorable, general, etc.) Additionally, Veterans with service-connected disability of 10% or more must also submit a copy of their official statement from the Department of Veterans Affairs, or from a branch of the Armed Forces, certifying their service-connected disability and/or their receipt of compensation for service-connected disability.
Veterans with service-connected disability of less than 10%, non service-connected disability, and Purple Heart recipients, as-well-as claiming derived preference for a spouse, widow, widower, or natural mother, should refer to and submit a completed SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference," and required documentation with your application material.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment. You may also be evaluated based upon the responses you provide during a structured interview. In responding to structured interview questions you should be sure to cite specific examples of experience, explain exactly what you did, and the outcome.
An incomplete application will receive a rating of IFM (ineligible due to missing forms). Requests for reconsideration will not be considered for applicants who fail to submit a complete application package. We cannot be held responsible for incompatible software or fax transmissions.