You must meet the following requirements within 30 calendar days after the closing date of the announcement.
GS-07: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-05 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes the performance of such tasks as: - Translating detailed logical steps developed by others into language codes that computers accept where this requires understanding of procedures and limitations appropriate to use of a programming language. - Interviewing subject matter personnel to get facts regarding work processes and synthesizing the resulting data into charts showing information flow. - Operating computer consoles where this involves choice among various procedures in responding to machine commands or unscheduled halts. - Scheduling the sequence of programs to be processed by computers where alternatives must be weighted with a view to production efficiency. - Preparing documentation on cost/benefit studies where this involves summarizing the materials and organizing them in logical fashion. Such skills are typically gained in the computer field or through performance of work where the primary concern was the subject matter of the computer application (e.g., supply, personnel, chemical process control) and computer-related efforts were required to facilitate the basic duties. Work in management analysis, program analysis, or a comparable field may also provide such skills.
One full year of graduate level education OR a Bachelor's Degree in any of the fields listed above with Superior Academic Achievement demonstrated through class standing (upper third of the graduating class); grade point average (a GPA of 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 based on 4 years education or courses completed during the final 2 years; or a GPA of 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 based on required courses in the major field); or election to membership in a national scholastic honor society. A copy of transcript or list of college courses designating semester or quarter hours earned is required.
GS-09 You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes experience that demonstrates a knowledge of computer requirements and techniques used in carrying out project assignments consisting of several related tasks, such as typically is the case in the development of minor modifications to parts of a system on the basis of detailed specifications provided. The assignments must have included completion of the following or equivalents aspects: - Analysis of the interrelationships of pertinent components of the system; - Planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment; and - Personal responsibility for at least a segment of the overall project.
Two full years of progressively higher graduate education or Master's degree in any of the fields listed above. A copy of transcript or list of college courses designating semester or quarter hours earned is required.
Education - Undergraduate or Graduate Education must include a degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or a degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems, or networks.
Time In Grade:
For the GS-07, you must have been at the GS-05 level for 52 weeks.
For the GS-09, you must have been at the GS-07 level for 52 weeks.
Selective Factor: You must have demonstrated knowledge of object-oriented design and development concept that includes writing and testing well-defined software code components using Java and/or C++ methodologies, techniques, and procedures. AND
In addition to meeting specialized experience, applicants must demonstrate they have experience in each of the four competencies described below. The experience has to be IT-related.
1. Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
2. Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
3. Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application includes your:
2. Responses to the online questions, and
3. Required supporting documents.
We use a multi-step process to evaluate and refer applicants:
1. Minimum Requirements: Your application must show that you meet all requirements, including the education and/or experience required for this position. You may be found "not qualified" if you do not possess the minimum competencies required for the position. If your application is incomplete, we may rate you as ineligible.
2. Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Knowledge of application software development concepts; Ability to analyze and resolve issues related to the development and testing of application software; Ability to work effectively as a member of a team; Skill in oral communication to present information on technical concepts to technically and non-technically oriented audiences; and Skill in written communication to present information on technical concepts to technically and non-technically oriented audiences. Your application will be rated and ranked among others, based on the extent and quality of your experience, education, training, performance appraisals and awards relevant to the duties of this position. We may lower your rating if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
3. Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application will be referred to a selecting official for consideration and possible interview. If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP), you must receive a score of 90 or better to be rated as well qualified to receive special selection priority.
We recommend that you preview the online questions for this announcement before you start the application process. To preview questions please click here.