Job Title:Safety and Occupational Health Specialist - SV-0018-H
Department:Department Of Homeland Security
Agency:Transportation Security Administration
Job Announcement Number:SEA-13-577126
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Monday, January 28, 2013 to
Tuesday, February 12, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Seattle, WA, USView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
Open to all U.S. Citizens.
Salary range listed includes Locality Pay of 21.81%.
This position is located at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) in Seattle, WA.
This announcement has been extended through 2/12/2013.
Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
Securing Travel, Protecting People - At the Transportation Security Administration, you will serve in a high-stakes environment to safeguard the American way of life. In cities across the country, you would secure airports, seaports, railroads, highways, and/or public transit systems, thus protecting America's transportation infrastructure and ensuring freedom of movement for people and commerce. For additional information about our agency please: Click Here
- You must possess U.S. Citizenship or be a U.S. National.
- You must complete a favorable Background Investigation (BI).
- You may have to travel up to 25% of the time to other sites.
DUTIES:Back to top
This Safety and Occupational Health Specialist position is located at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA), in the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), Department of Homeland Security (DHS). If selected for this position you will be responsible for coordinating, monitoring, and developing the programs and processes concerned with safety and occupational functions and supporting the safety function at an airport at the hub level including the coordination of safety functions performed at the associated spoke airports. Work performed minimizes human injury and property losses due to harmful incidents incurred by designing of management policies, programs and practices. You will apply experience and advanced knowledge of safety and occupational health program principles, concepts, regulations, practices, analytical methods and techniques to perform multiple and varying assignments. Typical duties include:
- Providing coordination of the safety program with airport management, spoke airports, the Office of Security Operations, and other program areas by coordinating/facilitating delivery of services as required.
- Providing ongoing services to managers, assigned organizations, and employees in their assigned program areas to include initiating, tracking and following up on cases and studies to ensure timely completion and regulatory compliance.
- Providing advice and guidance to professionals, managers, and employees sufficient to resolve recurring problems or those requiring adaptation of past precedents through the sharing of information or recommending alternative and appropriate approaches, including the review of policies and precedents with limited guidance.
- Undertaking extensive research and analysis and coordinating with more senior specialists and/or supervisors as necessary to ensure that the most recent guidance is applied when making technical decisions or advising managers, staff, and employees. Recommending unprecedented interpretations of guidance consistent with mission requirements and compliance with underlying statutes, and applying considerable discretion in advocating specific courses of action.
- Identifying and proposing technically sound and administratively compliant solutions to a range of complex but recurring safety hazards and risks requiring considerable judgment to ensure that recommendations and approaches best meet TSA operational needs.
- Designing and conducting studies where the issues under review are complex and require recommending program changes or improvements to systems and processes.
- Developing and providing instruction and training content for airport employees and supervisors to reduce or eliminate potential accident related losses.
- Providing training and guidance on the handling, transportation, and maintenance of hazardous materials.
- Serving as a troubleshooter regarding causes for accidents or losses and implementing adjustments in processes to prevent future incidents.
- Conducting routine safety inspections.
- Reporting on safety, accidents, implementation of preventative measures, and status.
- Providing guidance to more junior analysts as appropriate to accomplish ongoing work.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To qualify for the SV-H Pay Band, (equivalent to GS-12), you must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the SV-G or GS-11 in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private sector. Specialized experience is defined as experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Such experience will include coordinating, monitoring, and developing safety and occupational health functions, programs, and processes and reporting on safety, accidents, implementation of preventative measures and program status to program management.
Note: Credit for experience is given based on a 40-hour workweek. Part-time experience is credited on a part-time ratio, i.e., working 20 hours per week for two months equals one month of experience. No additional credit is given for overtime.
You must meet the qualification requirements for this position no later than the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
You will be evaluated based on a comparison of the position requirements against the quality and extent of the experience and/or related education as reflected in your resume and supporting documentation. You are encouraged to ensure work experiences clearly show possession of the competencies required for this position. We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If, after reviewing your resume and any supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your category placement may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job.
When completing the assessment questionnaire for this position, you will be prompted to elect if you wish for your application to be considered as External (where Veterans' Preference applies), as Status (current or former Federal Employees), and/or Internal to TSA as a current permanent or competitive temporary employee. At that time, please select the answer(s) that apply to you and your application to this position. To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
Please Note: All of the following must be received in our office by 11:59 PM EST (Eastern Standard Time) on the closing date of this announcement. This includes both online and mailed application materials. If we do not receive all required information by the closing date, your application may not be considered.
Your application must include:
2. Self Assessment Questionnaire for this position
3. Applicable supporting documents (see Required Documents Section)
Click the "Apply Online" button below and follow the prompts to apply. If you are unable to access the automated application system, we may need to reset your password. Please call the TSA HR Access Help Desk at 1-877-872-7990 between the hours of: 7:00AM - 8:00PM ET Monday - Friday, 10:00AM - 3:00PM ET Saturday, or 11:00AM - 4:00PM ET Sunday.
If you are unable to apply online, please call the Help Desk at the number listed above for a printed Employment Packet which will be sent to you for completion and return to this office.
In addition to a resume and the assessment questions, you must submit copies of any of the following documents if you are applying based on current or former Federal Government Status (if you are not a current TSA employee), Veterans' Preference, or education or a combination of education and experience:
SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action - Current TSA employees are not required to submit an SF-50 to support eligibility for internal/status consideration.
If you are not a current TSA employee: you must submit your most recent personnel action SF-50 (or equivalent document) to support your eligibility for Status consideration. If you elect Status for the consideration of your application without submitting an SF-50 demonstrating your current or previous permanent Federal employment status, and you are not a current TSA employee, your application may not receive Status consideration.
DD-214 - If you are claiming Veterans' Preference, provide a copy of your DD-214 (Member Copy 4) Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or other appropriate documentation to prove your entitlement and to provide verification of an Honorable Discharge. Failure to provide this documentation will result in your application not receiving 5-point preference.
SF-15 and VA Letter - If you are claiming Veterans' Preference based upon a Compensable Disability, Widow or Spouse Entitlement, or as a Purple Heart recipient, you must submit your DD-214 or other proof of entitlement; an SF-15, and the required proof of disability, i.e., Department of Veterans Affairs letter dated 1991 or later. Failure to provide this documentation will result in your application not receiving 10-point preference.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
The questionnaire will assess your qualifications for the job, and will be used to identify the best qualified applicants to be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We will notify you of the outcome of these steps when they have been completed. You may also check your application status by visiting the Candidate Dashboard.