GS-04, $42,492 - $48,211 per annum
GS-05, $46,625 - $53,937 per annum
GS-07, $50,974 - $61,171 per annum
Appointment Types: Positions to be filled as permanent or various types as needed. Positions to be filled as vacancies occur.
Work Schedules: Multiple schedules may be filled; you are encouraged to identify the schedules you are willing to accept. Eligible schedules include: full-time, part-time, rotational, or intermittent schedule.
Relocation Expenses: Travel may be paid in accordance with Federal Travel Regulations.
Housing: Government quarters or tribal housing is available at certain locations, depending on occupancy; otherwise private housing only.
Promotion Potential: If a position is filled at a lower grade, an incumbent may be promoted to the full performance grade level (GS-9) once all legal and regulatory requirements are met; however, such promotion is neither automatic nor guaranteed.
All applicants must meet the qualification requirements of this position by the closing date of the job announcement:
Definition of Specialized Experience: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Specialized fields of nursing may include inpatient, outpatient, medical, surgical, emergency (ER), and other specialty fields as need.
Basic Requirements - All nursing applicants must meet both of the following requirements:
Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant; AND Registration: Applicants must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. An applicant who has graduated from an approved nursing educational program within the past 12 months may be appointed pending State registration as a professional nurse within 6 months of appointment. No person appointed pending registration may be retained beyond 6 months, or promoted, if registration has not been attained.
Additional Requirements - In addition to the Basic Requirements listed above, all applicants must meet one of the education or experience requirements as listed below:
Applicants must meet one of the following to be considered at the GS-04 level:
· Completion of a nursing program of less than 30 months' duration or an Associate Degree in Nursing; or
· 1 year of nursing experience as a military corpsman; or
· A combination of nursing experience and education as described above.
Applicants must meet one of the following to be considered at the GS-05 level:
· Completed both a nursing program of less than 30 months' duration or an Associate Degree in Nursing AND have 1 year of professional nursing experience equivalent to at least the GS-04 level performing the duties of a practical nurse or nursing assistant under the supervision of a professional nurse.
· Completed a nursing program of at least 30 months' duration or 4 academic years above high school or a Bachelor's Degree in Nursing.
· A combination of professional nursing experience and education as described above.
Applicants must meet one of the following to be considered at the GS-07 level:
· Completed both a professional nursing program AND have 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-05 grade level with experience as a trainee nurse performing a limited set of patient care functions in a learning capacity.
· Completed a Bachelor's degree in Nursing with one of the following examples of Superior Academic Achievement:
· Graduated with at least an overall GPA of 2.95, or
· Graduated with at least a 3.45 GPA in your major or during the last two years of college; or
· Graduated in the top third of your class; or
· Membership in a national scholastic honor society recognized by the Association of College Honor Societies.
· Completed at least 1 year of graduate education in nursing with a concentration in a field of nursing (e.g., teaching, a clinical specialty, research, administration, etc.), or in a closely related non-nursing field directly applicable to the requirements of this position.
· A combination of professional nursing experience and graduate education as described above.
These vacancies are being filled through the Office of Personnel Management's delegated Direct Hire Authority. The following is applicable: all applicants who meet the basic qualification requirements will be forwarded to the Selecting Official for consideration. Veterans' preference and traditional rating and ranking of applications do not apply to this vacancy.
The HHS Careers system simplifies the Federal application process by replacing the former KSA job-element statements with on-line self-assessment questions. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications requirements will be invited to complete an on-line questionnaire assessing the following:
Interpersonal Skills: Show understanding, friendliness, courtesy, tact, empathy, concern, and politeness to others; develops and maintains effective relationships with others; may include effectively dealing with individuals who are difficult, hostile, or distressed; relates well to people from varied backgrounds and different situations; is sensitive to cultural diversity, race, gender, disabilities, and other individual differences.
Decision Making: Makes sound, well-informed, and objective decisions; perceives the impact and implications of decisions; commits to action, even in uncertain situations, to accomplish organizational goals; causes change.
Attention to Details: Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to details.
Planning and Evaluating: Organizes work, sets priorities, determines resource requirements; determines short- or long-term goals and strategies to achieve them; coordinates with other organizations or parts of the organization; monitors progress, evaluates outcomes.
Education & Training: Knowledge of teaching, training, research, making presentations, lecturing, testing, and other instructional methods.
For I/CTAP purposes, you will be deemed well-qualified if you are placed in at least the well-qualified category.
If found qualified, your score will range from 70-100 points (not including points that may be assigned for Veterans' Preference). We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. You will be deemed well qualified if you score 85 and above.