Job Title:Supervisory Facility Operations Specialist
Department:Department Of Agriculture
Agency:Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
Job Announcement Number:24VS-2013-0049
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Wednesday, January 30, 2013 to
Wednesday, February 13, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|1 vacancy -
Miami, FL, USView Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
This announcement is open to all United States citizens. (Current and Former Federal employees may also apply with a separate application to Merit Promotion vacancy announcement #6VS-2013-0059. For information on viewing Merit Promotion announcements, click Locating a Status Position on USAJOBS.)
The incumbent serves as the onsite facility manager for the MAIC and MIS and is dually responsible to both VS and PPQ regarding the physical operation of the campus. In this capacity, the incumbent plans, coordinates, directs and monitors the maintenance, repair or modification of the campus' buildings, infrastructure, machinery, vehicles and grounds. Projects are generated, in part, as well as a result of advances of equipment, equipment malfunctions, and changes in environmental regulations, etc. The facility is operational 24 hours a day, 365 days per year.
You can make a difference! The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Marketing and Regulatory Programs (MRP) needs bright, energetic and committed professionals to facilitate the domestic and international marketing of U.S. agricultural products and to protect the health and care of animals and plants in the United States. MRP offers an array of occupations and is committed to diversity in the workplace. We operate in domestic and global markets. Be part of an organization that protects the health and agriculture of the American people. Join our team!
APHIS is an emergency response agency. This means that all Agency employees may be asked or assigned to participate in rotating temporary duty assignments to support emergency programs at some time during their careers with APHIS. For details click: APHIS Emergency Response
DUTIES:Back to top
The duties described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence and limited complexity.
The duties may include, but are not limited to:
Evaluates the effectiveness of installation operations from the standpoint of utilities management and the efficient use of maintenance, manpower, equipment, material, and financial resources.
Directs and/or monitors the installation, inspection, maintenance, operation, and repair of electrical, natural gas, and steam-powered equipment, HVAC operating and control systems, hydraulic systems, incinerators, and more.
Coordinates the pest control program for the facility, including indoor pests and garden pests.
Establishes and manages all service contracts and monitors for conformance to specification.
Serves as Accountable Property Officer on behalf of both Veterinary Services (VS) and Plant Protection and Quarantine (PPQ).
Plans and directs the facility management program for a multi-use campus and their facilities at the Miami International Airport.
Assigns and reviews the work performed by the maintenance staff to ensure timely performance, soundness, and value.
Provides equal opportunity in employment for all subordinates, applicants, and new hires and in the awarding of construction and maintenance contracts.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To qualify, you MUST meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
Applicants can qualify by meeting the EDUCATION requirements specified below and/or the SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE requirements.
GS-11: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree in Engineering, Industrial Arts, Property Management, or Business Administration or LL.M., if related.
TRANSCRIPTS are required if:
You are qualifying for the position based on education.
You are qualifying for this position based on a combination of experience and education. This education must have been successfully completed and obtained from an accredited school, college, or university. For more information on submitting transcripts, click: Transcripts
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-11/12 GRADE LEVELS: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to the next lower level in the Federal Service. This experience may have been obtained in the private or public (local, county, state, Federal) sectors.
Examples of qualifying experience include, but are not limited to:
- Experience developing a Comprehensive Facility Maintenance Management Plan for a Laboratory, Quarantine, or related facility.
- Experience managing a laboratory, quarantine, or related facility including aspects of administrative services, operation maintenance, business and industry practices, and procurement.
- Experience planning, scheduling, and conducting multiple projects to make recommendations and taking corrective action to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of facility operations.
- Experience supervising subordinate employees including technical and operational oversight, assigning and reviewing work, and evaluating employees performance.
- Skill in using computers, maintaining management software programs, and computer-operated building operated systems.
- Experience in overseeing a facility budget, including budget development, identifying and implementing cost saving measures, and expenditure reporting.
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-11 GRADE LEVEL: Applicants may have combinations of successfully completed education and specialized experience to meet total qualification requirements. The total percentages must equal at least 100 percent to qualify for that grade level. To learn more about combining education and experience for this series, click the following: Combining Education and Experience for Administrative and Management Positions
THERE IS NO EDUCATION SUBSTITUTION FOR THE GS-12 GRADE LEVEL.
As a condition of employment, a background investigation may be required for this position.
Occasional travel may be required
If you are appointed to a supervisory or managerial position, you may be required to complete a one year supervisory/managerial probationary period.
Work requires frequent walking and standing for protracted periods of time, as well as stooping, bending, and light to moderate lifting. Some aspects of the work require climbing ladders and exposure to heights in excess of thirty feet.
The incumbent may be exposed to a wide variety of environments which subject the incumbent to adverse conditons such as heat, humidity, high noise levels, chemical reactions and heavy construction equipment.
Because the facility is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, the incumbent may be subject to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
We understand that accepting a position with Veterinary Services may require the need for spousal career placement assistance. To help you and your family make a successful career transition, Veterinary Services is dedicated to providing information on career placement assistance. Please visit the following web links for more information: http://www.job-hunt.org/jobs/states.shtml http://www.jobhunt.org/state_unemployment_offices.shtml
This position is subject to unscheduled overnight details of undetermined lengths in the event of animal health emergencies or other conditions requiring immediate response, as required by the Agency. (Extensive periods of time may be designated for overnight details.)
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
To preview questions please click here.
- Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. Your resume must support that you meet the specialized experience requirements described above and are proficient in the following skills or competencies below. Please note you are not required to provide specific narrative responses to the skills and competencies described in this section.
- Accountability, Conflict Managment, Developing others, Human Capital Management and other Supervisory Compentencies
- Ability to perform administrative support and emergency functions
- Ability to procure supplies, property, and/or services for your employer
- Ability to manage a budget
- Knowledge of facility management
- Ability to use computers, computer software, and databases
- Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. The following quality categories will be used: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. Within each quality category, veterans' preference eligibles will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
- Your final category placement will be based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire. Please ensure your resume provides enough detail to support your responses.
- If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you.