Job Title:Industrial Equipment Mechanic - WG - 5352 - 10 (Open to U.S. Citizens) - BP
Department:Department Of Transportation
Agency:Saint Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation
Job Announcement Number:SLSDC.MNT-2013-0003
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Hour|
|Monday, January 28, 2013 to
Tuesday, February 26, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time - -
|1 vacancy in the following location(s):|
Massena, NY, USView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
All U.S. Citizens.
Applicants who are eligible for Status, VEOA or Non-Competitive consideration are encouraged to apply to announcement: SLSDC.MNT-2013-0002.
The Saint Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation is a wholly owned government corporation created by statute May 13, 1954, to construct, operate and maintain that part of the St. Lawrence Seaway between the Port of Montreal and Lake Erie, within the territorial limits of the United States. Our mission is to serve the marine transportation industries by providing a safe, secure, reliable, efficient, and competitive deep draft international waterway, in cooperation with the Canadian St. Lawrence Seaway Management Corporation. www.greatlakes-seaway.com/en
This position is located in the Office of Engineering and Maintenance, Mechanical Maintenance Division Massena, N.Y, www.massena.ny.us. You will be responsible for the installation, modification, maintenance, repair, overhauling and testing of all types of Lock machinery, equipment and related items associated with Lock structures and facilities. The duties require journeyman level skills in millwright practices and skills in related trades such as pipefitting and welding.
The ideal candidate for this position will also have a background in water and waste water treatment.
Reimbursement for pre-employment interview expenses are not authorized.
Applicants are responsible for all costs involved with traveling to Massena, NY for an interview. If you do not live in the local commuting area, phone interviews are conducted prior to confirming an on-site interview. Relocation expenses are not authorized.
- You must be a U.S. Citizen and meet specialized experience to qualify.
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date.
- Provide all required documents by closing date.
- This position is NOT telework eligible.
- The announcement is also advertised merit promotion: SLSDC.MNT-2013-0002.
- Announcement may be used to fill similar positions within 30 days.
DUTIES:Back to top
The Industrial Equipment Mechanic:
- Is responsible for the installation, modification, maintenance, repair, overhauling and testing of all types of Lock machinery, equipment and related items associated with Lock structures and facilities. The duties require journeyman level skills in millwright practices and skills in related trades such as pipefitting and welding.
- Inspects, maintains, repairs, overhauls, and installs mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic Lock machinery and equipment including auxiliary items such as air compressors, pumps, sandblasting machines, etc. Responsible for the rigging of, alignment and performance of machinery and equipment. Operates lock equipment from control board or recesses for testing purposes.
- Has the ability to plan and layout the installation, modification, and repair of various new and existing machinery and equipment.
- Is responsible for the layout and fabrication of structural and sheet metals both in the shop and in the field, working from prints, sketches and field measurements using all manner of shop and portable equipment.
- Has the ability to diagnose and correct malfunctioning lock equipment. Basic knowledge of electrical or electronic mechanisms and devices in equipment to distinguish mechanical, hydraulic, or pneumatic failures from those which are electrical or electronic.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
You must have experience and/or training of sufficient scope and quality to perform the duties typically required of an Industrial Equipment Mechanic without more than normal supervision.
To qualify, your experience should include experience equal or equivalent to the following:
Wage Grade 10
For the WG-5352-10, your application will be rated on the following job elements:
- Ability to do the work of the position without more than normal supervision.
- Knowledge of equipment.
- Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic).
- Ability to interpret instructions.
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement. If you do not meet the minimum levels in the ability to do the work OR if you do not meet the minimum level overall, you will be disqualified.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- SELECTIVE SERVICE: Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- PHYSICAL EXAM REQUIRED: This position has strenuous physical requirements. You will be required to successfully complete a physical exam and a functional capacity test, at the expense of the Saint Lawrence Seaway, before being placed in the position.
- PHYSICAL EFFORT: May work in tiring or uncomfortable positions for long periods. Work requires frequent bending, reaching, stretching, climbing, and crouching. Sometimes performs strenuous work while standing, lying or sitting. Frequently lifts and carries items weighing up to 40 or 50 pounds, and often puts forth similar effort in pushing, pulling, turning and positioning parts, assemblies, equipment, and tools. Often lifts and moves heavier items with the assistance of other workers and with lifting devices.
- WORKING CONDITIONS: Works both inside and outside. When inside, is frequently exposed to drafts, changing temperatures, and noise which is difficult to talk above. When outside, may sometimes work in bad weather, in mud or snow and in wet or icy areas. Both inside and outside, is frequently exposed to irritation or discomfort from dust, heat, fumes, and from hard, damp floors or ground. Typically works on parts and systems which are dirty, oily, or greasy. Works from ladders, staging, man baskets, or raft on/over water. Frequently exposed to the possibility of receiving cuts, burns, bruises, and sprains while repairing, positioning, and moving equipment. Often exposed to the possibility of receiving burns and skin irritations from acid, fluids, and lubricants. To reduce the dangers and irritations from the above conditions, follows prescribed safety practices and uses safety equipment such as protective ear devices, hard hats, hard-toe shoes, respirators, and protective clothing. Some of these safety items may be uncomfortable to wear or use, and may be worn or used for long periods.
- DEU REQUIREMENTS: Applicants selected under delegated examining procedures may be required to successfully complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of four categories: Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze, which is based upon your responses to the vacancy questions. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference that have provided supporting documents will receive selection priority over non-veterans. The top rated applications will be reviewed for the quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. If your resume does not support the specialized experience or if your application does not support your answers to the Vacancy Specific Questions, your final rating may be modified and/or you may be disqualified from consideration.
Please do not overstate or understate your level of experience and demonstrated capability. You should be aware that your ratings are subject to evaluation and verification based on your resume and other relevant documents that you may submit, as well as through verification of references as appropriate. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your stated level of experience and demonstrated capability. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you or dismissing you from the position if selected. To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit a complete application package (including resume, vacancy questions and supporting documents) no later than midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
If you are having difficulty applying online, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (202)366-1298.
- To begin, click the Apply Online button on the job announcement.
- Follow the directions to register, submit all required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire.
- You may review your saved application(s) at https://my.usajobs.gov.
The following documents must
be provided by the closing date:
- RESUME - Showing relevant experience and education and fully supporting the required specialized experience.
- COMPLETED QUESTIONNAIRE.
- VETERANS: In order to be considered as preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, DD214. Your DD-214 must show the type of discharge and dates of active duty. If you are claiming compensably disabled preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your DD214; an Application for 10-point Veteran's Preference, SF15; and the proof of entitlement of this preference which is normally an official statement, dated 1991 or later, from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying to the present existence of the service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of your disability. Without this documentation, you will not receive veteran's preference. Additional information on veterans' preference is available in the Vet's Guide at: http://www.fedshirevets.gov/hire/hrp/vetguide/index.aspx
- SPECIAL APPOINTING AUTHORITY DOCUMENTS: If requesting concurrent consideration for: http://www.opm.gov/hr_practitioners/lawsregulations/appointingauthorities/index.asp#AppointmentsLeading Noncompetitive Non-competitive (NC) appointment eligibility, (e.g. military spouse or persons with disabilities), you must provide appropriate supporting documentation such as PCS orders describing move & marriage certificate; letter from VA or DD214 describing 100% disability of spouse; letter from State Vocational Office certifying disability, etc. For more information, visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/hire/hrp/qaspouse/index.aspx military spouse NC appointments or http://www.opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp" Persons with Disabilities NC appointments. Documents are only required if requesting non-competitive consideration.
- DISPLACED EMPLOYEE PLACEMENT DOCUMENTS: - Only required if requesting priority consideration under http://www.opm.gov/ctap/ CTAP/ICTAP</A>. You must submit ALL of the FOLLOWING: your most recent performance appraisal, the proof of eligibility letter from the Agency and your most current SF-50, displaying current series and grade. To receive priority consideration, you MUST be deemed well qualified for this vacancy (falling in the Gold Category).
Failure to submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the vacancy will result in your removal from consideration for this position.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You may check your application status into by logging into your USAJOBS account. Within two weeks of the closing date, your application will be reviewed and rated. Ratings will be determined based on the documents and information received by the closing date. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration. If you are selected for an interview, the hiring manager will contact you directly. Once a hiring decision is made, we will notify all applicants of their final status.